Blackpool: From the courts 02-05-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Tuesday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 01-05-18

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Patricia Clark, 71,benefit fraud

A woman pensioner has made her first appearance at court charged with benefit fraud.

Seventy-one-year-old Patricia Clark is alleged to have committed the offence from May 2009 until May 2017.

Clark, of Sandhurst Avenue,Bispham, is charged with defrauding Blackpool Council out of £23,079 in Housing Benefit by failing to declare she had savings above the required level.

Sarah Perkins ,prosecuting at the town’s magistrates court, said that the Crown would be seeking a Proceeds of Crime order against Clark.

Clark – who did not enter a plea–was sent for trial at Preston Crown Court where she will appear on May 30.

Robert Ewing, 63, historic sex offences

A man is due to appear in court charged with historical sex offences.

Robert Ewing, 63, formerly of Kincraig Place, Bispham, is accused of abusing two children in the 1990s in the Hereford area.

The allegations relate to two victims, a boy aged between six and nine years at the time and a girl aged between nine and 13.

Ewing is charged with one offence of child cruelty, five offences of indecent assault and one offence of gross indecency against the girl and one child cruelty, two indecent assaults and one gross indecency against the boy.

All the offences were allegedly committed between 1990 and 1993.

Ewing is due to appear before Preston Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.

David Reid, 30, breach of the peace

A man caused a rumpus at his former partner’s home in St Annes after their relationship ended.

David Reid was arrested after he became threatening towards a man who was at his ex’s address.

Reid, 30, of Chester Avenue, Poulton, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace.

He was bound over in the sum of £200 for 12 months by District Judge Jeff Brailsford. Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police received a report of a man trying to get into a property on Stephen Street, St Annes, and threatening to smash windows there on April 29 at 12.30am.

Officers went to the address and within minutes Reid returned there, opening the front door and walking in uninvited.

Reid then confronted a man who was there and became threatening towards him.When interviewed he said he and his partner had recently split-up.

He was upset about the break-up and the fact another man was having contact with his children.

Reid told the judge: “I was not drunk.

“I made a mistake.

“It will not happen again.”

Louise Harrison, 22, threatening behaviour

A woman accused of behaving in a threatening manner at Blackpool Victoria Hospital has made her first appearance at court.

Louise Harrison, 22, of Gregge Street, Heywood, Rochdale, pleaded not guilty to threatening behaviour.

She also denied causing damage to a counter top in a cell at Blackpool police headquarters.

Harrison was bailed to July 27 for trial.

Teenager, 17, breached bail

A teenager accused of burglary who had been given a chance of employment missed his first day of work because he had been arrested.

The 17-year-old Blackpool boy, who can not be identified for legal reasons, had breached his bail so he was unable to go to his job with a roofing company in Yorkshire.

The teenager pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a curfew which was a condition of his bail.

District Judge Jeff Brailsford told the teenager he was getting bail again “by the skin of his teeth.”

The court was told the teenager had denied burglary offences and taking a car and been bailed for a trial.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the teenager’s curfew had been altered during the week to accommodate him being offered work in Yorkshire.

On April 29 his curfew should have run from 8pm to 7am but at 1.07am it was discovered the teenager was not at his address.

Gary McAnulty, defending, said it should have been day one of the teenager’s work with a roofing firm but he had missed it because he had been arrested and had to appear at court.

The defence added that it was understood the teenager’s job at the roofing firm was still open to him.

The teenager had broken his curfew because his girlfriend had phoned him saying she was extremely drunk.

He had run and taken her home then run back to his address.

Mr McAnulty said: “It was chivalrous but stupid.

“He knows he has let everyone down.”