Blackpool: From the courts 28-02-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 28th February 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 9:34 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Paul Hewitt, 37, drunk in charge of a baby

A drunken father went missing in a hospital with his month-old baby, a court heard.

Paul Hewitt, 37, had drunk a half bottle of whisky and two miniatures of the same spirits whilst he was at Blackpool’s Victoria Hospital.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He was visiting a relative on a sideward and staff became worried because the baby was crying a lot and they were concerned about the way he was holding the infant.

When confronted by the ward sister Hewitt of Kingscote Drive, Layton, slurred his words.

When his wife arrived at the hospital to pick him up she could not find him or the baby and spent 90 minutes looking for them.

Police were called and an officer eventually found Hewitt and took the child from him. Magistrates heard that Hewitt, who runs a stall on Fleetwood Market, had drunk the half bottle at work and drank the miniatures at the hospital.

Gerry Coyle, defending, said: “This man has had a serious drink problem although it is fair to say he has not had a drink for the last two weeks.

“I do not feel the situation was particularly well handled by the hospital but the one thing in all of this is that the baby was safe.”

Hewitt was fined £200 after he admitted being drunk in charge of a child.

He must pay £85 costs and £30 victims’ surcharge.

Teenager, 15, criminal damage

A mother told a judge in a victim impact statement that her teenage son was no longer welcome at her home because she feared for her other children because of his behaviour.

Her son had smashed a window at their Cleveleys home after an argument with her.

The 15-year-old, who can not be identified for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to causing £120 of damage.

A referral order he was currently on was extended by three months by District Judge Jeff Brailsford.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the mother returned home on February 25, and found her son taking Valium with some friends.

There was an argument and the defendant threatened to leave and go on the run.

As he left his mother saw him punch the living room window with full force smashing it.

The mother’s victim’s impact statement was read to the judge.

The prosecutor said: “She is genuinely concerned about the safety of her other children and her property. She says it is with a heavy heart he is no longer welcome at her address.”

Steven Townley, defending, said his client was already on a referral order after being part of a group of young males who had attacked and stolen from vehicles in Thornton and Cleveleys.

The teenager had a difficult relationship with both his mother and father. After being involved with the group stealing from vehicles he had been sent to live with his father out of the area, but had then returned to lived with his mother.

On his return he felt he was being accused of things he had not done. He felt he was going to lash out and hit something instead of someone.

Zoe Copper, 24, theft

A 24-year-old shoplifter gave a false name to police when she was arrested.

Magistrates heard that Zoe Copper of Manchester Road, Blackpool, was caught stealing two cans of cola.

When her bag was opened by police they found other items taken from a Co-op store.

Cooper admitted the theft and was placed on a 12 month community order which will include 16 days rehabilitation.

She must pay a £10 fine and £85 victims’ surcharge.

Peter Honeyman, 39, threatening behaviour

A man who had downed five pints of lager before 9.30am drunkenly threatened a traffic warden who was issuing tickets outside a St Annes pub.

Peter Honeyman has started his early morning drinking the morning after a boozing session, magistrates were told.

Thirty nine-year-old Honeyman of Heyhouses Lane, St Annes admitted threatening behaviour.

He was put on a six month community order which will include 15 days alcohol rehabilitation. He was also given a four week curfew and must pay £100 compensation to the traffic warden.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said that the warden felt intimidated when Honeyman walked up to him carrying a beer glass.

Honeyman swore at the man and told him to get a proper job.

The first of a series of incidents started outside the Trawl Boat pub and later outside another bar on the other side of Wood Street.

Honeyman threatened to kick the warden and started to follow him.

The warden finally phoned police who arrested Honeyman who could not remember what he had said to the warden.

Honeyman told the court: “I am very sorry it was out of character.”

John Palfrey, 42, malicious wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm

An alleged shoplifter accused of smashing a security guard over the head with a bottle of vodka has made his first appearance at court.

John Palfrey, 45, of Windsor Avenue, South Shore, is charged with maliciously wounding with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm. He is also accused of stealing a bottle of vodka from the resort’s Sainsburys, on Talbot Road.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the case must be heard at crown court.

Defence lawyer, Brett Chappell, said his client had indicated he would plead not guilty to the offences. He did not ask for bail for Palfrey.

Palfrey was remanded in custody to appear at Preston Crown Court on March 29.

Barry Carr, 65, threatening behaviour - case dropped

A pensioner accused of making threats in a neighbour dispute has the case against him dropped.

Barry Carr, 65, of Rossall Gate, Fleetwood, faced two offences of threatening behaviour. His lawyer denied the offences on his behalf at a previous hearing.

Stuart Scott, 29, breach of court order

A man ended up in court before a judge after he started drinking again.

Stuart Scott, 29, of Hill Street, South Shore, pleaded guilty to breaching post prison supervision.

He was fined £80 and ordered to pay £50 costs.

Neal Brookes, prosecuting for the probation service, said Scott had had no permanent address at the time and his probation officer kept in touch with him by phone.

Scott had been sent a message to go to a meeting with his officer on January 11 but he did not attend the meeting.

Stephen Duffy, defending, said his client, who had had long-standing drugs and alcohol problems, had fallen off the wagon.

Teenager, 16, breach of bail

A boy was described as having a “paddy” and going missing over a weekend.

The 16-year-old Blackpool boy, who can not be identified for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to breaching his bail.

District Judge Jeff Brailsford agreed to rebail the boy with an altered curfew of between 8pm to 7am.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the teenager had been given tagged bail on the condition he kept an overnight curfew at his address but had gone missing over the weekend.