Blackpool: From the courts 27-06-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Wednesday, 27th June 2018, 11:05 am
Updated Wednesday, 27th June 2018, 11:08 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Gary Porter, 57, assault and threatening to cause damage

A man who was drinking 250 units of alcohol a week when his alcohol problem was at its peak spat twice in the face of a woman he had met at a residential rehabilitation centre.

Gary Porter, who had previously spent time in prison for an offence of arson, also threatened to set her home on fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Porter, a 57-year-old agency worker at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, of Manchester Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to assault and threatening to cause damage.

He was sentenced to a 12 month community order with up to 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £20 and ordered to pay his victim £100 compensation.

Presiding magistrate, James Hannah, told him: “Spitting is disgusting.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Porter arrived at an address a woman was staying at belonging to a male friend on May 30.

Porter, who had been drinking, started calling the woman vile names and twice spat in her face before saying he was going to set fire to her home in Winnipeg Place, Bispham.

She was frightened because she knew he had a conviction for arson from the mid eighties for which he had spent time in prison.

Brett Chappell, defending, said: “He admits behaving in a disgusting despicable manner. He committed these unsavoury offences because of drink. He has been combating his alcohol problem for many years.”

In a report to the court, probation officer Lesley Whittaker, told magistrates that Porter said he confronted the woman because she had not repaid him money she owed him.

The day of the offence Porter said he had drunk seven pints of strong lager. At the peak of his alcoholism Porter, a divorcee, told the probation officer he had drunk up to 250 units of alcohol a week.

Read More

Read More
Tuesday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court

Sarah Ashcroft, 26, theft

A woman has made her first appearance at court accused of stealing £30,000 of Scratchcards and takings from her workplace.

Sarah Ashcroft, 26, of St Annes Road East, St Annes, is charged with theft from the Londis shop, Wood Street, St Annes, before January 31 this year.

The case was adjourned by Blackpool magistrates for further inquiries.

Adam Snape, 33, failing to comply with community order

A man failed to do any of the punishment a court sentenced him to do.

Adam Snape, 33, of London Road, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a community order. He was fined £40 and ordered to pay £65 costs.

Brian Weatherington, prosecuting for the probation service, said Snape had been sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service and 60 hours unpaid work for the community for offences of assault and damage.

Snape was sent a letter by the probation service for an appointment on April 13 but he did not attend.

He only made contact with the probation service on April 29 saying he had moved address and only just got his post from his previous address.

Brett Chappell, defending, said his client failed to tell the probation service his new address when he moved.

After contacting the probation service on April 29 Snape had said his mail was then sent to a wrong address.

Karen Robb, 43, grooming

A 43-year-old woman has made her first appearance at court charged with grooming a teenage boy for sex.

Karen Robb, of Hornby Road, Blackpool is charged with inciting the 15-year-old to have sex with her.

She is further charged with making sexual communications with him and meeting the boy to sexually groom him.

Robb was sent for trial at Preston Crown Court where she will appear on July 25. She was given bail.

Taylor Lewis, 18, malicious wounding

A teenager accused of attacking a man with a lump hammer at Blackpool has made his first appearance at court.

Taylor Lewis is alleged to have fractured the man’s arm with the hammer on Sunday.

Lewis, 18, of Harcourt Street, Stretford, Manchester, pleaded not guilty to maliciously wounding the man causing him grievous bodily harm.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, asked for the case to be heard at crown court.

Lewis was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on July 25.

He must not enter Blackpool or contact prosecution witnesses and must live at his given address, keep a 9pm to 5.30am curfew and report twice a week to police, as conditions of his