Blackpool: From the courts 27-03-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 27th March 2017, 10:07 am
Updated Saturday, 8th April 2017, 10:28 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Paul Somers, 54, drink-driving

A drink-driver tried to escape by climbing out of a side window at his home when police came to question him.

Paul Somers retreated back inside on seeing police and an officer had to crawl through the window into the house to arrest him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Somers, a 54-year-old builder, of Peel Hill, Peel, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was disqualified from driving for 14 months and fined £120 with £85 costs plus £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police got a report of a driver speeding in the Marton area on March 5 at 1.40am. Somers was seen driving a Vauxhall Corsa at high speed round two roundabouts before parking in his driveway.

Police repeatedly knocked at his door and rang the bell but Somers did not react. He was then spotted trying to escape out of a side window. A breath test showed 50 micrograms of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit.

Somers said he had been to watch the boxing on television at The Boar’s Head pub. He added he had drunk two pints, had had little to eat and was taking medication.

Allan Cobain, defending, said his client maintained he had been driving at a proper speed. Since Somers had been looking after his mother he had not socialised much.

He was invited to watch the boxing and did not have a lot to drink, but he was a man of small stature who was underweight since being ill in hospital. He had been unable to work for a year because he was suffering from depression.

David Budgeon, 33, assault

A North Shore man facing two allegations of assaulting women has been remanded in custody by the town’s magistrates.

David Budgeon, 33, of Derby Road is accused of one assault in December last year and a second unconnected assault in February this year.

He also faces two allegations of criminal damage to an Iphone and a TV set. He denies both assaults but an application for bail by his lawyer Steven Townley was turned down by justices.

Callum Blundell, 26, criminal damage

A man accused of trashing items at a drinking acquaintance’s Blackpool flat has appeared at court.

Callum Blundell, aged 26, of Sutherland View, North Shore, pleaded not guilty to damaging a window, a door and lock, a television, table and other items.

He was bailed to May 10 for trial by magistrates.

Andrea Jones, 50, drink-driving

A nurse was found to be almost four times over the alcohol limit after visiting the grave of her first husband who committed suicide.

Andrea Jones, who had been drinking vodka, crashed into the back of another car on her way home and once there drank more vodka.

Jones, 50, of Broadway, South Shore, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

She was sentenced to do 60 hours unpaid work for the community, disqualified from driving for 24 months and ordered to pay £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said Jones was driving a Peugeot on Mythop Road on November 29 about 1.45pm, when she hit the rear of a BMW.

Jones went home and police spoke to her there. She said she had drunk some vodka before the accident, but it was not the drink which caused the accident. She added it had happened when she bent down to pick up an e-cigarette in the car.

A blood test showed 290 milligrams of alcohol in her body – 80 is the limit. Jones told magistrates she had been off her medication for four days and started to suffer panic attacks so she bought some vodka.

She said she had had a few swallows of vodka and did not feel drunk when she drove. The driver of the car she had hit was extremely aggressive with her. When she got home she drank the rest of the vodka in the bottle and then passed out.

Jones said: “I have not driven since that day.”

Michael Atkinson, 40, theft

A Fleetwood man has denied stealing a bike worth £1,200.

Michael Atkinson, 40, of Harris Street was bailed to stand trial on May 5. Atkinson also denied theft of £65 worth of razors from ASDA in Fleetwood.That trial will take place on the same date. Blackpool Magistrates bailed Atkinson pending his next hearing.

Imran Khan, 31, harassment

A Blackpool man accused of harassing a woman by sending her 250 texts and e mails in a 12 hour period is to stand trial.

Imran Khan, 31, of Burlington Road, South Shore was bailed by District Judge Jeff Brailsford until his trial at the town’s magistrates court on April 28.

James Hardie, 33, possession of drugs

Illegal drugs belonging to depressed man were found after he took a huge amount of pills in a suicide attempt.

James Hardie was being helped to an ambulance when a police officer noticed a small bag of cannabis on a surface in the kitchen.

Hardie, a 33-year-father, of Mornington Road, Lytham, pleaded guilty to possessing the class B drug.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs with £20 victims’ surcharge by magistrates who ordered the destruction of the drugs.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said police were called to Mornington Road, on December 19. An officer discovered a small bag of cannabis there which Hardie accepted was his.

Gerry Coyle, defending, said his client had become depressed after his business breeding and selling reptiles failed and he became bankrupt.

The police had been called because Hardie had tried to commit suicide and had taken more than 100 tranquillisers and painkilling tablets.

Clive Harrison, 54, failing to provide a specimen

A man has made his first appearance at court and pleaded not guilty to failing to provide a specimen for alcohol testing.

Clive Harrison, 54, of Maitland Avenue, TCleveleys, was bailed for a trial date to be fixed by magistrates

Jamie Bell, 38, theft

A man accused of stealing twice in the same day from a shop has been put on the wanted list.

Jamie Bell, 38, of Queens Promenade, Blackpool, is charged with stealing a £50 pan and £4 worth of food from Sainsburys, Talbot Road, on February 28.

A warrant without bail was issued by magistrates for his arrest after he failed to attend court.