Blackpool: From the courts 25-08-17

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Friday, 25th August 2017, 9:20 am
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:13 pm
Court news

Read More

Read More
Here is Thursday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 24-08-17

A pensioner was so drunk he had to be carried by police from his car which was blocking part of a busy dual carriageway, a court heard.

Former teacher William Mather, 73, had drunk wine and vodka and was more than three times over the alcohol limit when he was arrested on July 26.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mather, of Preston New Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community order with up to 15 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, banned from the road for two years and fined £50 with £85 costs plus £85 victim surcharge.

Presiding magistrate, Christopher Hurst, told him: “We consider this a very serious offence. You could have endangered people.”

Mather was described as ‘extremely intoxicated’ by police and there was an empty bottle of vodka on the passenger seat.

Mather was arrested and a breath test showed 109 micrograms of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit.

In a report to the court, probation officer Lesley Whittaker, said Mather had used alcohol previously to cope with depression he suffered.

John McLaren, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had got rid of his car as he had no intention of driving again.

James Orrell, 24, assault and possession of cannabis

A son with a serious cannabis problem was described as possessed as he fought with his family.

James Orrell sank his teeth into his father’s arm leaving a bite mark, punched his brother, tussled with his sister and threatened to rip his mother’s throat out and snap the dog’s neck.

Orrell, 24, of Orchard Close, Thornton, pleaded guilty to assaulting his father and brother and possession of cannabis.

He was sentenced to 12 weeks imprisonment suspended for two years with up to 50 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a six-month drug rehabilitation and ordered to pay £85 costs plus a £115 victim surcharge.

The court was told the family had found Orrell’s use of cannabis affected his mood and he had been demanding money from his parents.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said on August 20 Orrell’s father said his son was in a rage all day at the family home and at 7pm he asked him to leave.

In the fracas which followed Orrell grabbed his mother by the wrists and his sister tried to get him off.

He then bit his father’s arm and threw punches which hit both his father and brother, before collapsing on the floor saying he could not breathe.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said his client had little recall of the incident and had been taken to hospital suffering from medical problems immediately afterwards.

Orrell accepted he had problem with cannabis and that he needed help and support for that problem.

Charlie Fawcett, 20, threatening behaviour and shoplifting

A man hurled homophobic abuse at a shopkeeper after asking for free food and being refused.

Charlie Fawcett later said he had been high on drugs and drink at the time. The 20-year-old, of Greenbanks, Bispham, pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and two offences of shoplifting.

He was sentenced to an eight-week curfew from 8pm to 6am and ordered to pay his abuse victim £100 compensation with £136 compensation for shop goods he took plus an £85 victim surcharge.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said on March 21 Fawcett and another man stole vodka and pizza from Aldi, in Cleveleys, and on April 22 they took meat from the One Stop Community Store, on Lindel Road, Fleetwood.

On June 10, Fawcett went into Pharos News and Food shop, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, and made homophobic remarks after he was refused free food.

Mitch Sarangi, defending, said Fawcett had been taking drugs and drinking but had since quit.

Fawcett said he was not homophobic and he had friends who were gay.

Dominic Hodson, 27, failing to comply with supervision order

A man breached his post prison supervision with the probation service the day after he was released from jail.

Dominic Hodson, 27, of Central Drive, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a supervision order.

He was sentenced to a 20-day tagged curfew from 7pm to 7am.

After his release from prison, he was told to report to his probation officer the next day but failed to do so.