Blackpool: From the courts 24-03-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Friday, 24th March 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:45 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Paul Thompson, 35, drink-driving, no insurance

A drink-driver had one of the highest level of alcohol in his body a court had seen.

Paul Thompson drove along Blackpool Promenade on a busy Saturday afternoon with 168 micrograms of alcohol in his system – 35 is the limit.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The father-of-three, who was a learner driver and had no insurance, had his 13-year-old son in the car with him at the time.

Thompson, 35, who works as a waste operative, of Trafalgar Road, South Shore, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol without insurance and not in accordance with his provisional licence.

He wept as he was sentenced to three months in jail, disqualified from driving for four years and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Presiding magistrate, Marilyn Padgett, told him: “We have not seen that level of alcohol before. You could have caused death.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a taxi driver carrying passengers in his cab found himself behind Thompson who was driving a Peugeot 307 on March 4 at 1.20pm.

Thompson was turning round continually to speak to a child in the rear seat.

As they drove along the Promenade Thompson drove erratically speeding up then slowing down.

At one point he sounded his horn before rolling back towards the taxi and also making abusive gestures.

When taken to the police station and found to be almost five times over the limit Thompson said: “You win some, you lose some.” He added he had been drinking for most of the week and had not eaten much.

Steven Townley, defending, told the court: “This is probably the highest reading you will deal with. He has shown genuine regret and remorse and realised he put others at risk.”

Thompson’s serious alcohol problem began two years ago and he drank bottles of vodka each day. Last year his doctor had told him he would die if he did not stop drinking.

He had been driving to a hotel where his wife worked, because he had been having problems with his teenage son and he wanted her help.

Natalie Barks, 24, fraud

A young mother had four jobs while illegally claiming thousands in benefits payments.

Natalie Barks, 24, of Watson Road, South Shore, pleaded guilty to two offences of dishonesty failing to notify a change in circumstances.

She wept as she was sentenced to a three months tagged curfew from 10pm to 6am and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £60 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Barks illegally claimed £2,880 in income support and housing benefit by failing to declare she was working between April and December 2015.

She had four jobs working for a recruitment firm, at The Cube Bar, for a car company and another firm.

David Charnley, defending, said when Barks had started working she was doing less than 16 hours.

Barks, who was pregnant and had mental health problems, had been very silly and hopefully had learned her lesson.

Ma Kelly’s Estates Ltd, trading without a licence

The owners of a cabaret bar group have appeared at court facing an allegation that they ran one of their outlets in defiance of enforcement notice.

Company director Paul Kelly represented Ma Kelly’s Estates Ltd when the firm appeared before magistrates.

Mr Kelly denied the offence and asked for a trial to take place at Preston Crown Court. Magistrates sent the case to the higher court.

Blackpool Council is prosecuting the firm, which has a chain of outlets, over their cabaret bar on the junction of Lytham Road and Bagot Street,South Shore.

The council alleges that between June 16, 2016 and February, 2017 the company continued to operate the licenced premises despite the fact there was an enforcement notice which had ordered the company to cease trading at the site.

Michael Napper, 35, drug-driving

A factory worker who police challenged when they saw him using his phone in the car was found with cannabis in his body.

Michael Napper, 35, of Warley Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to drug driving.

He was banned from the road for 12 months and fined £220 with £85 costs plus £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police saw Napper in a Ford Fiesta stopped on Ashburton Road, on January 12 about midnight.

He was using his phone to send and receive a text.

When the officer spoke to him about that Napper became abusive and rude.

A blood test showed 3.5 units of cannabis in his body – the specified limit is two.

Kathryn Jamieson-Sinclair, defending, said her client had done the right thing and pulled over to use his phone when the police drew up next to him.

Napper who worked in a biscuit factory at Kirkham, had just finished a 12-hour shift and had not felt impaired when he was driving. He would now probably lose his job because it would be difficult to fulfil his shift requirements using public transport.

Richard Jenkins, 61, drunk and disorderly

A man threatened to put out a cigarette in a police officer’s beard during a fracas in Blackpool.

Richard Jenkins also told officers he was going to jump off a bridge or hurl himself in front of a train.

Jenkins, 61, of Dickson Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs with £20 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police were called to Springfield Road, on March 6, at 7.50pm, where Jenkins was threatening to harm himself.

He became agitated at officers shouting: “Have you lost your parents.” An ambulance was called but Jenkins said he would walk out of hospital and jump in front of a train. He was arrested after threatening to stub a cigarette out in a police constable’s beard.

Jenkins told magistrates: “I just lost my parents four years ago. I’m sorry I caused a lot of trouble I’m going to see my doctor.”