Blackpool: From the courts 23-07-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 23rd July 2018, 10:59 am
Updated Monday, 23rd July 2018, 11:02 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Shaun Neil, 38, failing to comply with a community order

A man with mental health problems did not keep appointments with his probation officer.

Shaun Neil, 38, of Edmonton Place, Bispham, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a community order.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates Court

He was fined £40 and ordered to pay £20 costs.

Cheryl Crawford, prosecuting for the probation service, said Neil had originally been sentenced to a 12 months community order with 20 days rehabilitation, to be supervised by the probation service, for having a blade in public.

He failed to attend appointments with his probation officer on May 30 and June 6. Mitch Sarangi, defending, said at the time his client had difficulties with his mental health but that had now stabilised.

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 20-07-18

Stephen Burgess, 50, and Donna Seel, 37, failing to send child to school regularly

A couple did not ensure their son went to school lessons when he should have done. Stephen Burgess, 50, and Donna Seel, 37, both of Fisher Street, North Shore, each pleaded guilty to failing to see their son attended school regularly.

They were each fined £120 with £50 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Lynda Bennett, prosecuting for Blackpool Council’s education department, said the case concerned the couple’s nine-year-old son, who attended Devonshire Primary Academy in North Shore.

Between January 25 and May 15 this year, his attendance was 82.58 percent with 20 unauthorised absences.

The Government target for school attendance is 90 percent or above. The prosecutor added that there appeared to be a pattern of the boy not attending on Fridays.

James Dutton, 38, obstructing police and criminal damage

A man fleeing from the police threatened to “smash up” one officer and “batter” another.

James Dutton, 38, of Palatine Road, central Blackpool, pleaded guilty to obstructing police and causing damage. He was fined £80 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police were called to Ash Street on June 27 at 5.40am, where Dutton had damaged a front door during an argument with his girlfriend.

As an officer approached Dutton he told him: “Come near me and I’ll smash you,” before running off. Later an officer used his stun gun to detain Dutton who then said to him: “I’m going to batter your head in.”

Steven Townley, defending, said his client had been going though a bad patch after breaking his leg when he was asked to move a wheelie bin which turned to be full of rubble while he was doing unpaid work for the community.

Dutton was then unable to work and lost his job. He had caused the damage to the door when he and his girlfriend were arguing about money.

Dutton said the first officer who approached him was young and when the PC pulled out his pepper spray he panicked and fled, to be arrested by another constable later.

Stuart Ogden, 25, stalking

A Blackpool man has denied stalking his former girlfriend. Stuart Ogden, 25, of Lune Grove was bailed pending his trial.

Ogden is accused of stalking his alleged victim in June and July this year by attending her address, her work and where she studies.

He is also accused of sending her texts, emails and phone calls. His case will be heard on October 19.

Conrad Swindells, 36, threatening behaviour

A man knocked his friend unconscious in the street after they got into a drunken argument.

Conrad Swindells, 36, of Vincent House, Furness Avenue, Grange Park, pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £75 with £85 costs plus £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police received a report a man had been knocked unconscious near the junction of Talbot and Dickson roads on July 1 at 2.45pm.

Officers found a man on the ground drifting in and out of consciousness with a lump on his head and a bloody nose.

A witness told police Swindells and the other man were drunk and arguing. Swindells swung punches, one of which connected, before he was pulled off his victim.

He then returned and punched him again, knocking him down. Howard Green, defending, said both men knew one another and there was a history between them.

Swindells said the other man became aggressive and he had to defend himself.