Blackpool: From the courts 20-10-16

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court from October 19.

Thursday, 20th October 2016, 6:00 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 8:21 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Chantelle Fitton, 22, two thefts

A Blackpool shoplifter was ‘lucky to be alive’ to attend court, magistrates were told.

Chantelle Fitton was admitted to hospital suffering from a brain infection and underwent two operations.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Twenty-two-year-old Fitton, of Palatine Road, admitted two theft offences committed before she was taken ill.

She stole £31.50 of meat from Sainsbury’s and £18.48 of sweets from B&M Bargains.

Fitton was given a conditional discharge for two months and ordered to pay compensation to Sainsbury’s for the meat which was not recovered.

Her lawyer Howard Green told the court: “The defendant has had to have part of her brain removed during two operations at Royal Preston Hospital. She is lucky to be alive.”

Daniel Monk, 39, breach of the peace

A noise nuisance row between neighbours ended up with one being taken to hospital after being hit.

Before magistrates was Daniel Monk, 39, of Carson Road, Blackpool who admitted breaching the peace.

Monk was the person who was hit by his neighbour after Monk kicked at the neighbour’s front door and at one stage tried to get into the property next door, the court heard. There had been a long-running dispute over loud music being played by the neighbour’s son.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said the neighbour had hit out in self defence as Monk tried to barge in the front door.

Steven Townley, defending, said: “Mr Monk and his family are angry because of sleep loss caused by the playing of loud music at night at the neighbour’s house.

“Drink had been taken and Mr Monk lost his temper and complained in hearty fashion.”

Monk was bound over to keep the peace in the sum of £50 for the next six months.

Lee Bryan, 30, drunk and disorderly

A man who caused a fracas in an Indian restaurant argued with magistrates about paying the Government -imposed victims’ surcharge, saying he did not agree with it.

The court heard Lee Bryan lost his temper and threw a chair when he went into the resort’s Shalimar Gardens and found it was closed for the night.

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said police received a call there was disturbance at the Shalimar Gardens on October 1 at 4.45am.

The court heard officers found Bryan in the middle of the road waving his arms about aggressively. He pointed at the restaurant and said: “If you don’t lock him up I’m going to stab him in the face.”

Officers spoke to restaurant staff and were told Bryan had caused a disturbance when told the restaurant was closed. Bryan continued to make threats and was arrested.

Bryan, 30, of Grasmere Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £160 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Bryan queried: “Where is the surcharge going,” and was told it went to help victims. He replied: “I don’t believe in the surcharge. The victims don’t see it.”

Gavin Dickson, 35, drunk and disorderly

A man tried to punch a police officer called to a report of a domestic disturbance between a couple.

Gavin Dickson, 35, of Carshalton Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £80 with £50 costs and ordered to pay £30.

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said police were asked to go to a Cocker Street where there appeared to be a domestic between a couple on September 30 about midnight.

The officers found no offence had been committed, but Dickson drew back his fist and tried to throw a punch.

Brett Chappell, defending, said Dickson’s partner had bipolar disorder and had suffered an episode. He had needed to restrain her but someone had misinterpreted his actions and called the police.

Dickson admitted he had behaved in an unsavoury fashion when the police arrived. In the incident Dickson received three cracked ribs.

Steven Thew, 30, breaching a court order

A man missed 42 hours of his curfew over a nine-day period when he should have been inside his home overnight.

Steven Thew, 30, of Adelaide Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to breaching a court order.

He was sentenced to a residence order where he must live at his given address until October 25, and had his curfew extended for two days by magistrates.

Neal Brookes, prosecuting for the Probation Service, said Thew had been put on a 10-week tagged curfew between 8pm and 7am for an offence of stealing from a shop.

Between September 10 and 19, he was absent for 42 hours 26 minutes of the curfew.

Trevor Colebourne, defending, said at the time Thew was having issues at the home he was living at and had to move to another address.

Peter Sokolowski, 45, theft

A man accused of stealing £127 of food from Bispham’s Spar store had his case adjourned.

Peter Sokolowski, 45, of Linden Place, Bispham, was not present at the hearing.

Anthony McPartland, 27, breaching the terms of a restraining order and a bail offence

A desperate dad who could not attend his son’s birthday because of a court order made a phone call to the child’s mother in which he threatened to petrol bomb her home.

Magistrates heard Anthony McPartland is the subject of a restraining order which bans he from contacting the mum of three.

He must also follow legal guidelines if he wishes to see his children.

But on his son’s birthday McPartland, 27, of Fallowfield Road, Ansdell, decided to ring his former partner asking her to put the child on the phone so he could wish the boy Happy Birthday.

When she refused, he made the threat, the court was told.

McPartland admitted breaching the terms of his restraining order and a bail offence.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said the order had been in force for nine months when the call was made. The mum did not call police but her social worker did after being told about the incident.

Hugh Pond, defending, said police never believed his client would carry out the threat.

“It was one call and all he wanted to do was to wish his son Happy Birthday,” said the lawyer.

Magistrates asked for probation reports on McPartland before sentence.