Blackpool: From the courts 16-05-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 7:00 am
Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Blackpool Magistrates' Court

Richard Parry, 48, driving while disqualified and with no insurance, failure to answer bail and being in breach of a suspended prison sentence

A mechanic who was banned from the road got behind the wheel to drive a car for an MoT.

Richard Parry, 48, of Argosy Avenue, Grange Park, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified without insurance, failing to answer bail and being in breach of a suspended prison sentence for two offences of driving while banned.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He was sentenced to three months in jail, banned from the road for 24 months and ordered to pay £85 costs with £115 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Presiding magistrate, Craig Lavender, told him: “Your previous record for disqualified driving is woeful and you deliberately decided to drive again.”

Prosecutor, Andrew Robinson, said Parry was stopped by police on March 13, as he drove a Renault Clio on Blackpool’s Caunce Street and found to be a banned driver. At the time he was on a suspended prison sentence for two offences of disqualified driving.

Martin Hillson, defending, said his client had answered his bail and attended court previously, but his wife who had breathing problems and was on oxygen became unwell. He was his wife’s sole carer and he left court to look after her. Parry’s father also had terminal cancer.

Parry had bought the Clio with a view to repairing the car and then selling it for a profit. He had booked a recovery vehicle to transport it for an MoT, but the recovery vehicle did not turn up so he foolishly decided to drive it to the test centre himself and was stopped on the way by police after the car registered as uninsured.

Mark Floyd, 44, rape and sexual assault, Rita Floyd, 44, indecent assault, Peter Farmer, 45, rape

A couple have appeared at court for the first time charged with sex offences against young girls including rape.

Mark Floyd, 44, of Newby Place, Blackpool, faces nine allegations of raping girls under the age of thirteen.

He also faces four charges of sexually assaulting girls.

Rita Floyd, 44, of the same address faces two allegations of indecently assaulting girls.

A third person Peter Farmer, 45, of St David’s Road South, St Annes faces one charge of rape.

The trio all appeared before magistrates who sent their cases for trial at Preston Court where they will appear on June 14.

As conditions of their bail the Floyds must not contact Farmer and must not contact a list of named girls and must have no contact with anyone aged under 16

Farmer has similar bail conditions.

The rapes and assaults are said to have happened between 2007 and 2013.

James Baillie, 37, handling stolen goods

A man accused of three offences of handling stolen goods including a bicycle riding equipment and a radio has had a hearing of his case at court.

James Baillie, 37, of Moore Street, South Shore, who was not present in the courtroom, was bailed by magistrates.

Nathan Price, 26, criminal damage and drug-driving

A man who tried to keep his cocaine use secret ended up in trouble with the law.

Nathan Price argued with his wife and damaged a television and was also caught drug-driving.

Price, a 26-year-old labourer, of Common Edge Road, Marton, pleaded guilty to causing damage and driving with above the specified level of cocaine in his body.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, banned from the road for 12 months, fined £10 and ordered to pay £150 compensation by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Andrew Robinson, said on February 6 police stopped Price as drove a Transit van on Broughton Road, Garstang. A blood test showed 65 units of cocaine in his body – the specified limit is 10.

On May 9 Price argued with his wife and he was told to leave and not return. Price came back then jumped up and threw the television against the wall cracking it and causing £150 damage.

Price’s defence lawyer said his client had tried to keep his cocaine taking secret from his family.

Declan Saunders, 20, controlling and coercive behaviour, criminal damage and assault

A 20-year-old man has appeared at court charged with controlling his partner by tracking her on her mobile phone when she was abroad.

Apprentice electricity company linesman Declan Saunders is accused of preventing Hannah Hodskinson of seeing her friends during their relationship.

Saunders of Moss Side Lane, Wrea Green, appeared before magistrates on a charge alleging he undertook controlling and coercive behaviour toward his victim.

He is further charged with making threats to kill her, threats towards her family and her horses.

He is charged with criminal damage and assault.

Magistrates ruled that the cases against Saunders would have to be dealt with at Preston Crown Court.

Magistrates granted Saunders bail on condition that he lives at his father’s home at The Avenue, Ingol .

The conditions include keeping a curfew at that address from 9pm to 6am.

He must not contact witnesses involved in the allegations.

He must not enter Wrea Green and Kirkham and will appear at Crown Court on June 14

Lauren Adler, 30, drink driving

A drink-driver who was almost three times over the alcohol limit came under police suspicion when she ran out of petrol and caused an obstruction on a road.

Lauren Adler was said to be playing with her phone when police arrived and did not at first notice the police officer’s presence.

Adler, a 30-year-old mother, of Merton Terrace, Lytham, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

She was banned from the road for two years and fined £200 with £85 costs plus £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police came upon Adler in an Audi A3 which was causing an obstruction at lights on Preston New Road and Victory Boulevard, St Annes, in the early hours of March 13

At first she refused to take a roadside breath test and asked police to phone her husband.

A breath test at the police station showed 95 micrograms of alcohol in her body - 35 is the limit. When interviewed she said she had been out and had only had a few drinks. She had only driven a couple of miles when her car ran out of petrol.