Blackpool: From the courts 15-03-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Wednesday, 15th March 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:02 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

One of Fylde’s most heavily convicted teenagers has been given a chance to become a law-abiding citizen through The Prince’s Trust scheme.

Brandon Brook has a criminal record of 87 offences many for offences of dishonesty and breaching an Anti Social Behaviour Order he was previously on.

The 18-year-old was described as having had an extremely difficult upbringing during which he had not been allowed to stay at his mother and stepmother’s home and had been effectively homeless for more than four years.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Brook, of George Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to four offences of theft.

He was sentenced to 14 weeks jail suspended for 12 months with up to 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work for the community and told to pay £170 compensation by District Judge David Murray.

The judge told him: “If you keep up the good work with The Prince’s Trust they might be able to assist you not to offend in the future.”

Prosecutor, Glenn Anderton, said Brook stole groceries and alcohol valued together at about £230 on four occasions between August last year and March 10 this year, from supermarkets in Fleetwood, Thornton and Cleveleys.

Brook was on three community orders and being supervised by the probation service.

Neal Brookes, for the probation service, said: “He is now working with The Prince’s Trust and that is welcomed by the probation service.”

Defence lawyer, Patrick Nelligan, said it was accepted Brook had a terrible criminal record for a teenager.

As a young teenager Brook had slipped under the care system’s radar and been effectively homeless and sleeping on people’s sofas for more than four years.

Mr Nelligan said: “He committed the thefts to get money because he had nowhere to go and no money.

“He has now started working with The Prince’s Trust five days a week and they provide him with food.

The Prince’s Trust has been the making of many a young person and if you get through it shows real mettle.

“He did extremely well in his GCSE’s and is an intelligent young man.

“This is a chance for him.”

Nick Lyons, 56, consumer law offence

A driveway company boss failed to give an elderly woman customer the required 14-day “cooling off” period required under consumer law.

The 80-year-old woman from Cleveleys wanted her coloured concrete drive re-sealing.

She contacted 56-year-old Nick Lyons, of Farriers Way, Poulton, who runs Northern Cobblestone of Puddle Foot Lane, Poulton.

He went to her home and gave her a verbal quote of £850, said Nick McNamara, prosecuting for Lancashire County Council Trading Standards department.

Both Lyons and his limited company admitted an offence under consumer law of failing to give the woman her rights in writing.

The prosecutor told the court that Lyons had received two letters warning him about the need for a “cooling off” period during which a customer can pull out of a contract.

The court heard that Lyons told the woman that he had two staff working nearby who would come and do the re -sealing later that day.

The customer was unhappy with the standard of the work they had done claiming they had not power-washed the drive prior to re sealing and had not removed pots from the drive before doing the work.

Lyons said that he had not laid the original drive and had been asked to put other people’s work right.

The woman had not wanted him to return to her home and he left her two cans of sealant.

He was fined £200 and ordered to pay the pensioner compensation and court costs of £250.

The same magistrates found Lyons not guilty of three other trading standards allegations involving another drive-way he had laid in the Thornton and Cleveleys areas.

Jamie Andrew, 22, possessing cannabis

A wanted man was found with drugs after he was arrested by police.

Jamie Andrew, 22, of Cookson Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks jail, suspended for 12 months, ordered to do 150 hours unpaid work for the community and told to pay £115 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Glenn Anderton, said a police officer saw Andrew in Blackpool on March 11 at 10pm, and arrested him as he was aware he was a wanted man.

Andrew tried to push the officer away and a small blue bag was found in his pocket.

He told the officer: “That’s just a £10 bag of weed.”

At the time of the offence he was on community orders from courts for offences of taking a vehicle without consent and drug driving.

Neal Brookes, prosecuting for the probation service, said Andrew had previously been sentenced to 15 days rehabilitation and to do 150 hours unpaid work for the community but did not do any of that sentence.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said Andrew had admitted he had had a problem with cannabis for some time.

He had been looking after an uncle who was very ill and he lost contact with the probation service.

Dean Edwards, 45, assault

A man accused of assaulting his girlfriend in a Blackpool hotel has appeared at court.

Dean Edwards, 45, of Alsford Road, Bradford, pleaded not guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm and was bailed for trial to April 18.

Kraig Hutchinson, 27, possession of a blade in public

A man was found with a knife in his sock at a Blackpool superstore.

Kraig Hutchinson, 27, of Manchester Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to possessing a blade in public.

Prosecutor, Glenn Anderton, said police received a tip-off Hutchinson had argued with family members and was in a taxi with a knife, on February 9 about 11pm.

Police tracked him down to Tesco at Blackpool’s Clifton Retail Park where a knife was found in his sock.

He had three previous convictions for possessing a blade in public.

Defence lawyer, Steven Townley, said Hutchinson was going to a female friend’s for a meal and she asked him to bring a knife to cut vegetables with because she did not have a knife.

He had stopped off at Tesco’s to get some shopping to take to the friend’s.

Hutchinson was remanded in custody to appear for sentence at Preston Crown Court on April 12.