Blackpool: From the courts 13-03-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 13th March 2017, 9:40 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:03 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Lee Hartley, 22, drink-driving, dangerous driving, failure to stop after an accident

A drink-driver drove on the wrong side of the road, went over the top of a roundabout and collided with several parked cars.

Lee Hartley, who was more than three times over the alcohol limit at the time, had an argument over the phone with his girlfriend just before he drove off.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hartley, a 22-year-old plasterer, of Blackpool Old Road, Poulton, pleaded guilty to driving dangerously with excess alcohol and failing to stop after an accident.

He was sentenced to 18 weeks jail suspended for 12 months, ordered to do 200 hours unpaid work for the community, banned from the road for three years after which he must take an extended driving test and ordered to pay £85 costs with £115 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Mike Hopkinson.

The judge told him: “Clearly your driving was of a pretty obnoxious standard on this occasion.”

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said a driver on Amounderness Way, Poulton, was passed by Hartley driving a Vauxhall Astra, on February 18 about 1am.

Hartley twice veered onto the wrong side of the road, drove over the top of a roundabout, hit a kerb and collided with parked cars before driving on. A breath test showed 110 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

Steven Townley, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had acted completely out of character.

John Bradley, 44, drink-driving, possession of a blade in public

A driver who was almost twice over the alcohol limit reversed into a woman’s car in the car park of a Lytham supermarket.

John Bradley was then found by police who came to arrest him to have a knife concealed under his shirt.

Bradley, a 44-year-old bricklayer, of Bleasdale Avenue, Kirkham, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol and possessing a blade in public.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks jail suspended for12 months, ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work for the community, banned from the road for 20 months and fined £260 with £85 costs plus £115 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Hopkinson.

The judge told him: “Possession of a knife in any circumstances in a public place is extremely serious.”

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said a woman saw Bradley reverse his Citroen into her car on the car park of Booths supermarket, Haven Road, on February 16 at 8.40pm.

When police approached Bradley he mumbled something about having a blade and as officers got hold of him a kitchen knife fell out from inside his T-shirt.

A breath test showed 66 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit. He had a previous drink-drive conviction from 2000.

Brett Chappell, defending, said at the time of the offences Bradley’s wife was suffering from cancer and was in hospital having had a serious operation, so he turned to alcohol to cope.

After reversing into the car Bradley was waiting for the police to arrive when he realised he had a knife he used in his job in his works jacket. He panicked and hid it under his T-shirt.

Callam Hartley, 22, breach of probation

A Blackpool man was given a suspended jail sentence after he admitted breaching his probation order for the third time.

Callam Hartley, 22, of Dinmore Avenue, Grange Park, failed to do the 80 hours unpaid work for the community which he had been sentenced to after being convicted for shoplifting a handbag.

Magistrates gave him a six weeks jail term suspended for a year and he must undertake 30 days rehabilitation.

Jeremiah Dennehy, 27, breach of curfew

A decision by his girlfriend to kick Jeremiah Dennehy out of her home following a row landed him in trouble.

For the 27-year-old of Normoss Road, Normoss, had an electronic tag fitted and when he left the woman’s property it set off an alarm.

Magistrates heard how Dennehy who went to stay at his mother’s home that night admitted breaching his curfew.

Hugh Pond, defending, told the court: “That relationship is now over and my client - to his credit- has found himself work.”

He was fined him £50 and ordered him to pay £50 costs.

David Kinahan, 27, possessing a blade in public

A man accused of having a knife in Blackpool’s Bloomfield pub has made his first appearance at court.

David Kinahan, 27, of St Heliers Road, South Shore, is charged with possessing a blade in public on February 16 this year.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, asked for the case to be heard at crown court. Defence lawyer, Patrick Nelligan, said his client would not indicate a plea to the offence at that stage.

Kinahan was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on April 12 by District Judge Hopkinson.

He must not enter the Bloomfield pub as a condition of his bail.

Lee Sharples, 18, assault

A 17-year-old had to undergo surgery after he was punched in his own garden, magistrates heard.

Lee Sharples, 18, of Lower Lune Street, Fleetwood, admitted assaulting the teenager, causing him actual bodily harm.

The court ordered pre-sentence reports on Sharples who was bailed until March 13.

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said that Sharples and his victim had been messaging each other but Sharples’ messages became threatening.

His victim did not think much about them as they often exchanged stupid messages, the court was told.

Suddenly Sharples turned up in the victims garden and swung a single punch at him. He broke the boy’s nose and one of his teeth in the attack.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said: “This is a serious matter and a report will be required.”

Matthew Rogers, 30, assault

A woman fled to the sanctuary of a women’s aid centre after being confronted by her former partner.

Blackpool Magistrates heard how Matthew Rogers, 30, of Sharrow Grove pinned his victim against a wall and threatened her.

Tlhe woman tried to reach the safety of the refuge and when a worker inside heard the noise of the confrontation outside she called police.

Rogers admitted assault and was ordered to pay £100 compensation to his victim.

He was also placed on a one-year community order which will include 30 days rehabilitation and 40 days unpaid work. His lawyer Steven Townley said: “The couple had split up a short time before they bumped into each other in the street.”