Blackpool: From the courts 08-12-16

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court from December 07.

Thursday, 8th December 2016, 6:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 1:37 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Natalie Reeves, 27, drink-driving

A nurse was caught driving with excess alcohol in her body after a tip-off to police.

Natalie Reeves, 27, of Church Street, St Annes, pleaded guilty to drink-driving.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She was disqualified for 17 months, fined £250 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Andrea Fawcett, said police received information about a possible drink-driver in Poulton on November 19, about 5am.

Officers stopped Reeves as she drove an Audi A1 Sport on Hardhorn Road. A breath test showed 68 micrograms of alcohol in her body – 35 is the limit.

Defence lawyer, Scott Parker, said his client, a bank nurse who worked shifts at clinics, had no previous convictions.

She had stayed overnight at a friend’s and had only a couple of drinks. After 4am she believed she was OK to drive.

At the time of the offence Reeves was taking medication which her doctor had recently doubled and she believed that may have affected her judgement.

Emma Ashburn, 29, drink-driving

A drunken mother flagged down a police patrol car to ask for help and ended up offering to fight with the officers.

Emma Ashburn, 29, of Station Road, South Shore, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

She was given a six months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Andrea Fawcett, said Ashburn flagged down a police car on Lytham Road, on November 17 about 4.30pm.

She was very drunk and told the officers she wanted to fight with them.

Suzanne Mugford, defending, said her client had been going through a difficult time as there were proceedings at the county court relating to her child.

The afternoon of the offence she had been trying to get into her flat but the door handle had broken. She had asked police to help her but was very drunk and admitted saying she wanted to floor them.

Sarah Hussain, 22, failed to attend court

A woman accused of ill-treating a child has been put on the wanted list.

Sarah Hussain, 22, of Frederick Street, South Shore, is alleged to have ill-treated a three-year-old girl likely to cause her unnecessary suffering or injury to her health.

The offence is said to have taken place on April 25 this year at Blackpool.

Hussain failed to attend the first hearing of her case at court and a warrant without bail for her arrest was issued by magistrates.

Luke Pettit, 26, drink-driver

A drink-driver was put under citizens arrest by witnesses who saw him drive straight over a roundabout at Blackpool and smash into a parked car.

Luke Pettit, 26, a window cleaner, of Waddington Drive, Scunthorpe, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was banned from the road for 14 months, fined £200 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Andrea Fawcett, said witnesses saw Pettit driving a Ford Mondeo on September 3 at 1.15am, at speed on Grasmere Road.

He sped over a grass-covered mini roundabout and crashed into a parked car. He was detained by witnesses until the police arrived and then taken to hospital. A blood test showed 110 milligrams of alcohol in his body – 80 is the limit.

Pettit told magistrates he was sorry for what he had done. He said the driving ban would be a huge blow to him as he had depended on using his vehicle as a self-employed window cleaner.

Lesley Thompson, 49, trading standards charges

A Cleveleys woman who faces a series of trading standards allegations has been warned she must attend the next hearing of her cases or a warrant will be issued for her arrest.

Lesley Thompson, 49, of Meadowcroft Avenue, faces five allegations under the trading name Cleveleys Home Improvements.

She is said to have failed to tell clients of their right to cancel contracts and failing to publish proper information about her address.

She is further alleged to have wrongly stated she could give a 25 year guarantee for work and wrongly issue a “Dryzone” damp-proofing certificate.

Thompson, who is being prosecuted by Lancashire County Council, did not attend the court for the first hearing of the case.

Abigail Dudgeon, 26, failing to pay

A St Annes woman who failed to pay for a £2.30 train fare to Lytham has been landed with a bill of £636 by magistrates.

Abigail Dudgeon, 26, of Back North Cresecent,St Annes, did not attend a hearing at which she was prosecuted by train firm Arriva for failing to pay with intent to avoid such a payment.

The case against her was proved in her absence. She was fined £440 and was ordered to pay £150 court costs, £44 victims’ surcharge and pay the fare she dodged.

Zara Khambata, 29, drink-driving

A woman was tracked down by police after she crashed her car into a ditch in Lytham and left the accident scene.

Zara Khambata was found to be more than twice over the alcohol limit when she was breathalysed a court was told.

Khambata, 29, of Fairlawn Road, Lytham, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

She was disqualified from driving for 16 months, fined £120 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge. Prosecutor, Andrea Fawcett, said police were alerted an Audi VRM was in a ditch on Ballam Road, Lytham, on November 18 about 11pm.

Police tracked Kambata down as the car’s registered keeper and when they spoke to her she admitted she had been driving. A breath test showed 72 micrograms of alcohol in her body – 35 is the limit.

Steven Townley, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had been out for a meal and gone home. She then got a call from her sister who said she was having a problem with her car so she went out to help her.

On the way back she crashed at an icy spot on a sharp bend known as an accident black spot. She was considerably shaken up and when she got home drank a large glass of wine.

Mr Townley said: “She was not as intoxicated as her alcohol reading would suggest she was at the time of driving. After she went home she had a large glass of wine.”

Kambata hoped to return to India, where her father lived, in the New Year. The insurance company would not pay for her car and it would cost her more than £10,000. She would also have to pay for the fence repair.