Blackpool: From the courts 07-03-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 6th March 2018, 3:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th March 2018, 4:15 pm
Blackpool magistrates court

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 06-03-18

Daniel Sims, 23, assault

A row over noise coming from a neighbour’s flat led to a tenant being brutally attacked.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Daniel Sims punched the tenant to the floor and kicked him repeatedly in the head after his girlfriend, a mother-of-six, complained that noise from the neighbour’s flat was disturbing the children.

He also attacked another man who was there when he inflicted a head wound and cut lip to the tenant.

Sims, 23, of The Promenade, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm on the tenant and assaulting the other man.

He was sentenced to 22 weeks jail, suspended for 18 months with up to 40 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service and ordered to pay compensation of £200 to the tenant and £50.”

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said Sims argued with a neighbour on January 11 at about midnight, after his girlfriend said noise coming from the neighbour’s flat disturbed the children.

Sims punched the neighbour to the floor and kicking him in the head several times then grabbed a male friend of the neighbour’s by the neck.

Martin Hillson, defending, said his client had gone to his girlfriend’s flat to see the children and she complained about noise coming from the flat of a neighbour upstairs.

After complaining to the tenant Sims went back to his girlfriend’s. A loud crash and loud voices were then heard coming from upstairs.

Brandon Brook, 19, theft

A Fleetwood teenager has been jailed for eight weeks for breaching his suspended sentence order.

Brandon Brook, 19, was given his suspended jail term for a string of shoplifting offences.

However the court heard that since the punishment was imposed Brook had failed to keep in touch with his probation officer and failed to notify a change of his address.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said that his client had gone to Scotland where he had found restaurant work but had now returned to Fleetwood and lived on Rede Avenue.

Magistrates were also told that Brook had also failed to pay any of the £900 compensation to his victims.

Mohand Turki, 34, theft

A man was unable to attend court because he was in a secure deportation centre on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant.

Mohand Turki, a 34-year-old Libyan, of no fixed address pleaded guilty to theft from a Blackpool shop.

He was given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £40 compensation.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said CCTV at Wilkos, Dickson Road, showed Turki stealing a £40 vacuum cleaner on May 10 last year.

Turki should have come to court in December but failed to appear and a warrant without bail for his arrest was issued.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said at the time Turki should have previously appeared in court he was in a detention centre near Liverpool for suspected illegal immigrants.

He was kept at the detention centre for two months, then told he was not being put on a plane and deported back to Libya and he was released from the centre.

Turki was arrested at lunchtime on Saturday in Liverpool and had been in custody since.

Mr Nelligan added: “He has no income or family here. “He is not allowed to work or receive benefits.

“His only source of income has been shoplifting."

Jason Whitley, 36, assault

A man accused of waking his girlfriend up by repeatedly punching her in the head on Valentine’s Day has appeared at court.

Jason Whitley is also alleged to have pulled her up by the hair and dragged her about on Boxing Day.

Whitley, a 36-year-old pub worker, of Lytham Road, South Shore, pleaded not guilty to two offences of assaulting his partner.

He is further charged with breaching a restraining order by contacting his girlfriend.

The prosecutor opposed an application for bail for Whitley by defence lawyer Gerry Coyle.

Whitley was bailed to June 8 for trial.

He must live at his given address, keep a tagged curfew from 10pm to 8am and not contact his girlfriend as conditions of his bail.

Amanda Turner, 31, assault

A woman has made her first appearance at court accused of assaulting a couple at a Blackpool hotel.

Amanda Turner, 31, of Brunshaw Avenue, Burnley, pleaded not guilty to assaulting a man and a woman at the Norbreck Castle Hotel in July last year.

She also denied behaving in a threatening manner at the hotel.

Turner’s case was adjourned for trial.