Blackpool: From the courts 06-03-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 5th March 2018, 1:28 pm
Updated Monday, 5th March 2018, 2:35 pm
Blackpool magistrates court

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 05-03-18

Michael Wilkinson, 29, failed to comply with conditions of bail

A man who was late back from work ended up spending two nights in custody.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Michael Wilkinson should have been inside his home by 8pm but electronic equipment monitoring his ankle tag showed he was not there at 8.15pm.

Wilkinson, 29, of North Church Street, Fleetwood, who pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a bail condition, was rebailed.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said Wilkinson had been bailed on allegations of assault and using violence to enter an address.

A court ordered him to live at his given address, not enter Blackpool or Fairway in Fleetwood and keep a curfew from 8pm to 6am Monday to Thursday and from 11.30pm to 6am Friday to Sunday.

On February 27 at 8.15pm the electronic equipment monitoring Wilkinson’s curfew showed he was not in his address.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said his client, who had been on the bail conditions since December, had been late back because of work that night.

Police had gone round to Wilkinson’s home and forced open the door but he was not there.

He had surrendered himself to the police on Saturday and spent the last two nights in custody.

Liam Whatmough, 20, taking a car without consent and driving while banned

A son who was banned from driving took his father’s courtesy car without his knowledge.

Liam Whatmough was then seen by a police patrol crossing the centre white lines of a road while he was overtaking.

Whatmough, 20, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to taking a Vauxhall Astra without consent and driving while banned.

Sentence was deferred on him for three months on the conditions he did not commit a further offence and improved his cooperation with the probation service.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said police saw Whatmough cross the centre lines when he overtook a slower moving car on Yeadon Way on Saturday at 5.40pm.

He was stopped and a check showed he had been banned from the road for drug driving and driving while disqualified.

A drug wipe test on Whatmough at the roadside was positive for cocaine. A blood test was then taken from him and sent for analysis.

The result of the analysis would decide whether Whatmough faced a charge of drug driving.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said Whatmough, who suffered from anxiety and was under the care of a psychiatrist, was homeless.

Whatmough had indicated to the police who stopped him that he had used cocaine the night before the offence.

At the time he had also been on a 12 months community order with 20 days supervision by the probation service and drug rehabilitation, but his compliance with probation was described as poor.

Noreen Hanson, 49, theft

A prolific shoplifter was seen stuffing her leggings with stolen toiletries in a Blackpool chemist’s.

Noreen Hanson, 49, of Ibbison Court, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to an offence of theft.

The court was told she had a criminal record of 104 previous convictions for theft and similar offences.

She was sentenced to a six months community order with up to 10 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a four weeks curfew from 8pm to 7am and ordered to pay £38 compensation.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Hanson was seen filling her leggings with toiletries at the Well Pharmacy, Grasmere Road, on February 5, before leaving the shop without paying.

Hanson was confronted afterwards by police and when she was returned to the pharmacy she returned some of the stolen toiletries.

Robert Castle, defending, said it was an unsophisticated crime with a low value and Hanson believed she had returned all the stolen items bar one bottle of shampoo.

Hanson had been battling a drugs problem but she had stopped taking heroin.

The day of the offence she said she had taken too much of her prescribed medication.

Stephen McCarten, 26, assault

A man has made his first appearance at court accused of grabbing his girlfriend’s neck in a stranglehold and hitting her over the head.

Stephen McCarten, 26, of Rodwell Walk, Grange Park, pleaded not guilty to assault.

He was bailed to May 14 for trial.

McCarten must not enter Blackpool or contact the girlfriend as conditions of his bail.