Blackpool: From the courts 03-01-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 2nd January 2018, 3:38 pm
Updated Thursday, 4th January 2018, 5:10 pm
Blackpool magistrates court

Read More

Read More
Monday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 02-01-18

Rebecca Harnett, 22, drunk and disorderly

A woman who had been drinking shots cider and vodka refused to take notice of the police and leave the area of a hostel for the homeless.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rebecca Harnett, 22, of Dinmore Avenue, Grange Park, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.She was fined £100 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Roger Lowe sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police were called to the Gorton Street Hostel where Harnett and another woman were arguing on December 12 at 2.20am.

An officer told Harnett she needed to leave the other woman, who was a resident at the hostel, and go home.She carried on talking and again was asked to leave and offered a lift home by police as it was extremely cold.

She left the hostel but then tried to get back in and had to be restrained and arrested.

She had a previous conviction for being drunk and disorderly in October.Harnett told the judge: “I apologise and I am very embarrassed to to be stood here again.

“I think I have a problem with alcohol and am working with a counsellor.”

Gary Stewart, 29, driving with excess alcohol

A joiner was caught committing his third offence of drink-driving after police saw him driving without lights.

Gary Stewart, 29, of Harcourt Road, South Shore, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was sentenced to a six weeks curfew from 8pm to 6am, banned from the road for three years and ordered to pay £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge.

The judge told him: “You should have been aware of the perils of drink driving because of your previous two court appearances.

“It was foolish in the extreme. It is not just you who will suffer but your partner and three children.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police carried out a stop check on Stewart after seeing him drive a Ford Transit van on Harcourt Road without lights on December 13 at 6.15pm.

A breath test showed 41 micrograms of alcohol in his body.

He had two previous drink-drive convictions.

Trevor Colebourne, defending, said his client had made a mistake of the highest level by drinking probably an eggcup full more alcohol than he should have which had put him just over the limit.

The effect on Stewart’s life, his partner and three children would be catastrophic as he was a self-employed joiner and he had bought his van on finance.

Michael Hennessey, 56, theft

A man was seen taking two perfume sets valued at £133 from a store in the run-up to Christmas.

Michael Hennessey, 56, of Coop Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to theft.

He was given a six months conditional discharge and told to pay £50 costs with £20 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Hennessey was seen concealing two perfume sets inside his coat at Debenhams and apprehended outside the store on December 13 at 5.30pm.

When interviewed he said he had no money and had gone into the shop intending to steal.

Defence solicitor, Patrick Nelligan, said his client had had problems getting his benefits money, so he reverted to type and stole to pay for electric and food.

Alan Hollingmode, 28, theft

A man ordered a substantial Chinese takeaway and when the delivery driver took him the food and asked for the money the door was slammed in his face.

Alan Hollingmode was said to rarely go out but that day he had been to a social gathering and drunk far too much.

Hollingmode, 28, of Coronation Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to theft of £32.80 of food.

He was sentenced to a two years conditional discharge and ordered to pay £32.80 compensation with £85 costs plus £20 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Hollingmode ordered food from Oriental Takeaway, Red Bank Road, Bispham, including spare ribs, barbecue sauce, crispy duck with pancakes, egg fried rice and cans of pop on November 19.

It was delivered to Hollingmode’s address at 7.20pm and when the delivery driver asked for the money the defendant swore at him and closed the door.

Brett Chappell, defending, said his client, who had pleaded guilty straight away, had not been in trouble for two years and denied swearing at the delivery driver.

The day of the offence Hollingmode had gone out and drunk too much. The catalyst for his offending was addiction to drink and drugs, but he was now getting help from rehabilitation specialists.