Blackmailing thieves celebrated attack on Blackpool man over a McDonald's breakfast

Crown Court
Crown Court
Share this article

Two thugs called a taxi and went for a 'celebratory breakfast' after attacking and stealing cash from a reveller they befriended in a Blackpool club.

Victim Paul Wallace was invited back to the men's flat for drinks after a night out - but was then punched repeatedly.

During his ordeal he was pinned to the floor.

One of his attackers put his foot on his head and threatened to kill him unless he handed over his cash card and PIN.

Martin Devon, 31, of Reads Avenue, Blackpool, and Luke William Peter Evans, 29, of Clifford Road, Blackpool, were both jailed for 32 months after pleading guilty to blackmail and theft.

Both men have nine convictions for 14 offences.

Recorder David Potter, sitting at Preston Crown Court, said: "This was a very concerning attack.

"You and he ended up drinking together and then in the very early hours of May 24, 2016, he was invited back to the flat at which you were both then residing.

"During the course of what followed he describes being punched firstly in the face and then pulled to the floor .

"In circumstances I accept were opportunistic, the position arose that you both took advantage of that situation.

"He was threatened that he would be killed if his bank PIN was not given out and it was through fear of that that he told you his balance and his PIN.

The court heard Mr Wallace met his attackers in the Walkabout bar before moving on to Flamingos.

They returned to the defendants' flat at 5am.

As he sat on the sofa Devon started punching him.

He was then pulled to floor and Evans joined in.

One of the defendants kept him pinned to the floor while the other left the flat and used the nearby ATM, stealing £293.

Once the money was taken his card and wallet were returned to him and he was released from the flat.

In a victim statement he said he had suffered soreness across his head and body, a graze to his chin, swelling to his lip and a cut to his hand.

Devon also admitted handling goods stolen from his next neighbours who ran a hotel.

Their computers, electrical goods and ornaments were stolen during a burglary.