Bid to lengthen sex trio’s jail sentences

Graeme Defty, Tony McCarthy and David Wilcock.
Graeme Defty, Tony McCarthy and David Wilcock.
Have your say

The sentences of three men locked up for a sickening sex attack on a teenager are to be reviewed by the Court of Appeal.

Graeme Defty, 35, David Wilcock, 34, and Tony McCarthy, 22, were jailed in March for what they did to their 18-year-old victim – described by a judge at sentencing as “repulsive”.

Now the jail terms are expected to be considered by high court judges next month after a complaint was lodged that they were “unduly lenient”.

Preston Crown Court heard the girl woke up at Wilcock’s home after a night out in October 2011 to find herself half-naked, in a bed with two of her attackers.

It was days later when she realised she had been assaulted after she discovered repulsive video footage on her mobile phone.

The three men pleaded guilty to two serious sexual assaults, and Wilcock admitted a third sexual assault charge.

Defty, of Mason Close, Freckleton, and Wilcock of Spring Gardens, St Annes, were sentenced to three-and-a-half years behind bars.

McCarthy, of St Leonard’s Road East, St Annes, was given three years and four months.

Each will remain on the Sex Offender’s Register indefinitely.

The Gazette has learned the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) referred the case to the Attorney General for appeal against the sentence.

A spokeswoman for the Attorney Generals Office said the case had been looked at and sent it to the court of appeal.

It will be seen by three high court judges who will determine whether the sentence should stay the same, if it is unreasonably low – known as unduly lenient – and increase it, or refuse to hear the case.

A date has not yet been fixed at the court of appeal.


Sex assault after drinking game party

During the sentencing of Defty, Wilcock and McCarthy, the court heard the teenager knew the men and had gone back to Wilcock’s home one night in October 2011.

She joined in drinking games at the house, but the prosecution said she could not remember anything after going to the toilet, until she woke up in bed with Wilcock and Defty the next morning.

Later, she told her mother she feared something “awful” had happened to her and the police got involved.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.