Banned driver failed to take '¨a driving test
A man who had been banned from the road 10 years before should not have been driving alone because he had not taken a retest
John Breaks, 49, of Keswick Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified without insurance.
He was fined £240 with £85 costs, ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge, had six points put on his licence and told to take a re-test by Blackpool magistrates.
Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said on April 19 at 7.30pm police stopped Breaks as he drove a Renault Laguna on Cookson Street as the vehicle showed as having no insurance.
Breaks should have taken a re-test before he was allowed to drive alone on the road. He said he could not remember what was said at the court hearing when he was banned because he was an alcoholic at the time.
Kathryn Jamieson-Sinclair, defending, said Breaks got a car because he had passed the medical he was required to take by the DVLA before he could get his licence back. He had not understood he had to take a retest.
When Breaks was banned a decade ago he had been an alcoholic but said he had been dry for five years.