Attack left victim with broken arm

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Share this article
Have your say

A VICTIM was punched and kicked by two men in an unprovoked street attack, a court was told.

Blackpool man Gary Aspinall suffered a fractured elbow and finger in the “nasty” attack.

It happened in the Hartford Avenue area after one of the men responsible, Kamrul Hussain, had texted him and a meeting was arranged.

Hussain and another man were each given suspended sentences after earlier pleading guilty to actual bodily harm assault.

Hussain, 34, of Levens Grove, Blackpool, also admitted a charge of possessing cocaine. He was given 15 months’ jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months’ supervision and an order to do 180 hours’ unpaid work.

His co-defendant, Mathew Sampson, 24, of Withnell Road, Blackpool, received a 10-month prison term, suspended for 18 months, with 12 months’ supervision, 180 hours’ unpaid work and a three-month curfew.

The incident happened on September 29 last year. Mr Aspinall had known Hussain for about five years at the time, the court was told.

Kirsten McAteer, prosecuting, said that morning, Hussain sent him text messages asking him to ring him. An arrangement was made to meet at the end of Hartford Avenue.

But when he went there, Mr Aspinall was attacked by the two men.

The prosecution said there were numerous punches to the head. Sampson struck a heavy punch to the left side of his face which caused him to stumble.

Mr Aspinall landed face down on the ground and covered his head with his arms. Both defendants kicked him numerous times before running off.

Mr Aspinall went back to his home, got a knife and came out on to the street, the court was told. But he then returned home and put the knife back.

Chris Hudson, for Hussain, said his client had two “Achilles heels” - drinking to excess and taking controlled drugs and they had got him into trouble.

The assault had been “quite a nasty” incident, he said. Joe Hart, for Sampson, said it appeared that Hussain had been the first to involve himself in the assault. Sampson had joined in, with a degree of gusto.

Around that time, he had been in thrall to an addiction, he added.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.