Accused dad says he "shook" six week old baby to rouse him

A dad has taken to the witness stand to deny murdering his baby son.

Wednesday, 7th March 2018, 1:07 pm
Updated Wednesday, 7th March 2018, 2:10 pm
Crown Court

David Christie, 35, of Wyre Grove, Blackpool, is accused of murdering Marshall Christie - who died from serious head injuries on March 15, 2017 - and is currently on trial at Preston Crown Court.

The trial has previously heard the six-week-old tot been examined by medics and was found to have bruising on his flank and his thigh, grazing and bruising to his genital area, linear bruising to his eyelids, a cluster of pinprick blood spots on his forehead and a bruise on his head.

Scans of his brain, spine and abdomen revealed revealed bleeding in and around the brain, swelling to his brain and bleeding down the spinal column, and fresh broken ribs.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Christie was the sole guardian for Marshall while his partner, Sarah Lowe, was treated for schizophrenia at Wythenshawe Hospital, Ormskirk Hospital, and The Harbour mental health hospital in Blackpool.

Christie told the court he had found the baby "blue" and floppy and said he shook his son in an attempt to rouse him.

The jury was played a video of his police interview in which he was asked to demonstrated on a doll how he had shaken him.

They were also played footage of him showing how he winded the baby.

Christie claimed he had found his son between 3.30am and 3.45am in interview but in the witness stand he said he could not remember the times.

Prosecuting, Nicholas Johnson reminded the defendant of the remarks he had made during his police statement, and added: " Are you saying it was a mistake ?"

Christie, who appeared to struggle to give evidence, replied: " My brain's going through all sorts of things here, I'm sorry.

"I'm not going to remember the times to be honest."

Mr Johnson asked: "Have you ever suggested that before? You seem to be, with respect, very good at giving times."

The judge, Mr Justice Jay, then suggested the court take a break.