Crash victim on new Prom

Diane Hinchliffe is calling for changes to be made on Blackpool's newest section of revamped promenade after her father Kevin Bradley was knocked down near the tower
Diane Hinchliffe is calling for changes to be made on Blackpool's newest section of revamped promenade after her father Kevin Bradley was knocked down near the tower
0
Have your say

A WOMAN whose elderly father was hit by a taxi on Blackpool’s new look Promenade claims urgent changes are needed to prevent a death.

Diana Hinchcliffe said the new road layout was “an accident waiting to happen” after her 73-year-old father Kevin was rushed to hospital with a broken leg.

Mr Bradley, who has 16 grandchildren, was walking down the road towards Blackpool Tower on July 6 when the accident happened.

He was walking along what he thought was the pavement close to the junction with Adelaide Street – but was actually on the road.

He was taken to hospital in a confused state and told his family he was scared he was going to die.

Mrs Hinchcliffe, 46, from South Shore, said: “The council should either pedestrianise the Promenade or put in proper pavements. I have no doubt it is only a matter of time until someone is killed, the new layout is so confusing.

“My dad was looking at the ground because he thought he was on the pavement and this was in broad daylight.

“What will happen in the Illuminations when it’s really busy and people are looking at the lights?

“I’ve driven down there and it’s hard to work out where the road ends and the pavements start, people’s lives are at risk.”

The Promenade re-opened earlier this month following extensive work to revamp the area in front of the Tower.

But the fact the pavement and the road are now level without a kerb has caused concern.

Mr Bradley, who lives at Dunsop Court, South Shore, also suffered a nasty gash to his head and is recovering in Bispham Rehabilitation Hospital.

Blackpool Police today confirmed a man collided with a taxi on Adelaide Street.

Blackpool Council have defended the new-look Promenade saying safety precautions have been put in place.

John Donnellon, service director for built environment, said: “We will fully investigate the factors which led to Mr Bradley stepping out in front of the taxi and see how it could have been avoided.

“Following feedback we have already placed signs around this junction to let pedestrians know that it’s used by buses and taxis and we will consider if other alterations are needed.

“The new layout of the Promenade is designed to slow the speed of vehicles through the area and the measures we put in place will have helped avoid a more serious accident.”