Convicted Pool fan breaches ban – with abusive Oyston text

Some fans attempted to get into the directors' box during a protest at Bloomfield Road
Some fans attempted to get into the directors' box during a protest at Bloomfield Road
Share this article
Have your say

A man who threatened the owners of Blackpool Football Club- the Oyston family-breached a court order within days of being convicted of the offence.

Roofer Mark Rushton wore a mask to try and conceal his identity when he was one of a group of angry fans who stormed the directors box at the club’s Bloomfield Road ground.

He is awaiting sentence for that offence and another of damaging a football ground security camera and as terms of his bail he must have no contact with Blackpool FC chairman Karl Oyston his wife Victoria, son Sam and club owner Owen Oyston.

But Blackpool Magistrates heard how Rushton, 24, of Riversway Blackpool sent a text message to Karl Oyston whilst on bail which read: “The battle may be lost but the war is about to begin – bowlhead.”

Police arrested Rushton and he admitted the breach when he appeared before Blackpool Magistrates who rebailed him warning him if there was any repeat he would be jailed.

Rushton lawyer Gerry Coyle told the hearing that there was little chance of his client being jailed for the threatening behaviour offence when taking into account the sentences dished out to others involved in the protest which led to a pitch invasion on May 2 last year - the day Blackpool supporters dubbed Judgement Day.

The lawyer said: “It has been said that Karl Oyston inflamed the situation rather than trying to defuse it by being enticing and beckoning fans to fight with him.

“It was a highly charged and emotive situation all about the demise of Blackpool FC in recent seasons.

“Since my client was bailed he admits sending messages to Mr Oyston but he has also had message from Mr Oyston who appears to have tried to wind him up.

“There will be no more messages - his mother who sits in court has had enough of all of this and she will make sure this does not happen again.”

Rushton ws rebailed on condition he has no contact with the Oystons and obeys a no-go area around Bloomfield Road.

He asked the magistrates what he should do if Karl Oyston contacts him and was told: “Tell your solicitor and do not delete the messages but you must not reply.”