Fears have been raised for the future of a landmark hotel after it emerged the Britannia group is taking over the former Hilton on North Promenade in Blackpool.
Town hall chiefs are seeking a meeting with bosses at Britannia to discuss future plans for the site after it changed hands on Wednesday.
Council leader Coun Simon Blackburn told a full meeting of the council Britannia would not be their choice of hotel partner.
He added: "(Deputy leader) Coun (Gillian) Campbell is seeking a meeting with Britannia to find out their plans for the site and to emphasise how important that site is to Blackpool."
Concerns had been raised by Conservative councillors about the impact the change of operator could have.
Conservative group leader Coun Tony Williams said Britannia catered to "a very different market" to that which Hilton attracted.
He said: "You will find many of their hotels are in serious need of refurbishment.
"That Hilton is a big building and we should all be cautious about what Britannia would do to that building. "
Coun Maxine Callow said Britannia already operated the Norbreck Castle which is in her ward and were "not good neighbours".
She said: "We are constantly battling with them to cut the grass at the rear of their property.
"We know it's a popular hotel and they do extremely well, but they are not popular with the people of this area."
Britannia's three existing hotels in Blackpool, the Norbreck, the Metropole and the Savoy, are all rated lower than the Hilton which was four star.