Club reveller denies consent was given at rape trial

Steve Peter
Steve Peter

A woman has told a court she was raped by a man she met in a Blackpool nightclub more than two years ago.

Steven Peter, 38, denies the attack, claiming the woman - who was 18 - consented to sex with him when she and a friend went back to his flat in Park Road, Blackpool after meeting up in Flamingos nightclub.

Giving evidence at Preston Crown Court, the woman said she had been looking out for her friend when she agreed to go back to the flat Peter shared with another man.

She said she was happy to flirt with the defendant but did not consent to anything more than a friendly hug and a kiss on the cheek.

During the attack, the woman said Peter, a Nigerian national, was calling her ‘perfect white girl’ and ignoring her as she pleaded with him to stop.

The teenagers met the men, who both claimed to be called Tony, in Flamingos nightclub, two days before Christmas 2013.

The four left the club together and caught a taxi back to the flat in the early hours of the morning.

But the woman said: “I was looking after a friend. What if she’d gone back with the two of them on her own?”

Inside the flat the woman found herself alone in the living room with Peter, where she says he raped her.

In a recorded police interview, played to the court, she said: “The more I asked him (to stop) the more aggressive he got. It was like I was feeding him.”

After the attack the woman went to find her friend - who was in another room with the other man.

She said: “I said ‘I’m going to have to go. My mum is going to be worried if she wakes up and I’m not there.

“It was two fully grown men and me and my friend - she seemed happy being where she was.

“I didn’t cry. I was shaking and my friend could tell I had been crying.

“I was telling her in the cab ‘I didn’t want to do what he wanted us to do.’

“She was shocked. Her eyes were watering. When we got to the house she helped undress me and put my stuff in the wash.”

The woman said she tried to put the attack behind her and move on but a few weeks later she told her mum what had happened.

On January 26 2014 she made a formal complaint to the police, saying she was worried other women may be attacked by Peter.

She said: “I didn’t mind flirting but not what it turned into. I was scared what people would think of me putting myself in that position.”

Peter, of no fixed address, denies rape.