Cats and dogs rescued in Normoss after blaze starts in fridge-freezer

Three fire engines from Blackpool and Bispham were called out to Normoss Road
Three fire engines from Blackpool and Bispham were called out to Normoss Road
Share this article

Five family pets were rescued from a home in Normoss after a fridge-freezer caught light in the early hours of the morning, say fire services.

Three fire engines from Blackpool and Bispham were called out to Normoss Road near to the junction with Thornbank just before 5.30am on Monday, after a smoke alarm alerted a man and a woman in the house.

Crews arrived to find a heavily smoke logged two-storey house with the two people outside.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "The householders had woken to the sound of the smoke alarm sounding and managed to leave the property before ensuring all doors were closed and calling the Fire Service.

"On arrival the house was heavily smoke logged and a fire was found to have developed in a fridge freezer unit.

"Four firemen wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and ventilation fans were then used to assist in clearing smoke from the remainder of the house.

"Two dogs and three cats were also safely removed from the house, the cause of the fire is thought to be a fault within the fridge freezer."

Nobody was injured in the incident.