Carbon monoxide probe

A police officer outside Mr Taylor's house on Miller Street, South Shore.
A police officer outside Mr Taylor's house on Miller Street, South Shore.
Share this article
Have your say

An inquest has been opened into the death of a man who was found dead in his South Shore home.

Patrick Sean Taylor, 42, is believed to have died following a chip pan fire at the property on Miller Street.

Blackpool Coroners Court heard Mr Taylor’s neighbours raised the alarm after he had not been seen out and about on the street for several days.

Police officers called at the property on Monday evening and forced their way into the property after they received no response.

Coroner’s officer PC Ken Lord told the inquest: “Mr Taylor resided at Miller Street.

“On April 8 the police were contacted by a neighbour of Mr Taylor.

“Police attended and forced entry into Mr Taylor’s address.

“Upon entering the address they discovered him on the floor behind the kitchen door.

“It was quite apparent at the scene there had been a fire at the premises and the site of the fire was the kitchen area.”

It is thought the fire had burned itself out and as a consequence was not reported to the fire service.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on Mr Taylor’s body by Dr Mark Sissons at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

He concluded the most likely causes of death as either smoke inhalation or carbon monoxide poisoning.

Coroner Anne Hind adjourned the inquest until a later date to allow a full report on the circumstances of the blaze to be compiled.

She said: “The fire and rescue service is always very thorough in investigating these fires.”

A 26-year-old Miller Street resident, who did not want to be named, paid tribute to her neighbour.

She said: “It was a bit of shock for everyone here, although I’ve not really seen him for a while.

“He seemed nice.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.