A CAR showroom and garage was badly damaged after a blaze broke out in a workshop.
Emergency services were called to Chris Allen Ford, on Poulton Industrial Estate, at 7.27pm on Tuesday evening to battle the blaze.
One vehicle was destroyed by the flames while the workshop, storeroom and staff canteen were severely smoke damaged. The front office and showroom were also affected.
Police cordoned off parts of Aldon Road and Clark Street, off Garstang Road East, while eight appliances work at the scene.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue said: “The fire involved the workshop.”
Staff and members at FX Leisure gym, off Premier Way, were asked to evacuate the gym at around 7.50pm.
Shaun Burford, 28, a gym user, said: “We were asked to evacuate the gym and soon as we got outside the smell of smoke was really strong.
“We couldn’t see any flames but there were firemen hosing into the building and others working with a drill on what looked to be an entrance.
“I don’t know if it was just a faulty vehicle or something but there would be so much petrol in there.”
Acetylene cylinders located in workshop were left to cool and not involved in the blaze.
Seven fire engines and one aerial ladder platform worked at the scene overnight.
Mr Burford added: “There were three engines when we got out of the gym but more quickly arrived as the police cordoned off the roads.”