Car bursts into flames

Car fire in Clifton Avenue, Marton
Car fire in Clifton Avenue, Marton
Share this article
Have your say

A CAR spectacularly burst into flames after leaking fuel.

The driver of the Renault Megane was parked in Clifton Avenue, Marton, when the company car suddenly turned into a fireball.

The man was able to get out of the car without being injured and fire crews attended the scene to extinguish the fire.

However, the ferocious blaze, which broke out at 1pm yesterday, prevented people from exiting the street before the fire service arrived.

Dawn Keeling, from Marton, was trying to get into Clifton Avenue to see her father while the car was on fire.

She told The Gazette: “It was a bit worrying because it blocked off the whole estate and nobody could get out.

“We were trying to get into the street, but we had to park there and walk through. It was a nightmare.

“When I arrived at the scene the man had got safely out of his car and was stopping traffic and warning them about what had happened.”

Crew manager Steven Milner, from South Shore Fire Station, said: “This was an accidental fire started by a possible fuel leak in the vehicle.

“The nearby cars were not damaged and the driver was not injured.”