Cabbie attack case dropped

Taxi driver Bob Cairns
Taxi driver Bob Cairns
Share this article
Have your say

POLICE and prosecutors have decided not to press charges following a suspected road rage attack on a cabbie.

Bob Cairns claims he was left unconscious in the middle of a Fylde road after being attacked by two men who used his “head as a football”.

As reported in The Gazette on Wednesday, a 21-year-old man from Preston and a 20-year-old man from Lytham were arrested on suspicion of wounding, causing grievous bodily harm.

They have since been released without charge.

One of the men says he acted in self defence.

A police spokesman said: “After a full investigation and consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service the two men arrested have been released with no further action.

“The investigation has come to a close.”

Mr Cairns stopped on Headroomgate Road, St Annes, to pick up a passenger at 11am on Monday.

The 66-year-old grandfather-of-six said: “There were cars parked all the way along so I had to double park.

“There was enough room for traffic to pass. Then these two guys came up right behind me in a car, their horn was tooting.

“I got out of the car to explain I was waiting to pick someone up.

“The driver then slammed the door on my leg. He jumped out of his car and came at me with his boot.

“The other guy came from the side and hit me in the head. They then started kicking in my head like a football.”

Mr Cairns was told by witnesses the two men drove off as a police car passed.

He was taken to Royal Preston Hospital, where he underwent surgery to have two metal plates screwed to his broken jaw.

Mr Cairns, who is an umpire for Northern League cricket, added: “It’s been traumatic. Everyone gets angry at motorists but you don’t go kicking someone’s head in.

“If something like this happens to anyone else, I’d advise them to drive away.”

But one of the two men arrested, who declined to be named, said he and his friend acted in self-defence.

He said: “I couldn’t get past so I flashed my lights and beeped my horn. The taxi driver got out of the car. He was angry.

“He opened the car door, I put my hand over my face and put my leg up to stop him hitting me. He grabbed hold of my right ankle. He then walked around the front of my car towards my friend with his fists up.

“My friend punched him, it was self-defence. It was not nice what happened to him, but I spent 24 hours in a cell when I was innocent.”

Gareth Brandon, senior crown prosecutor, said: “Statements were taken from witnesses that differed significantly.

“Given the conflicting accounts of the incident received by the police during their investigation, the CPS has decided that there is no realistic prospect of conviction and will not be proceeding with the case.”