Telephone mix-up a recipe for disaster

Karl Myhill (manager) waiting for the phones to be connected at Toast in St Annes.
Karl Myhill (manager) waiting for the phones to be connected at Toast in St Annes.
Share this article
Have your say

A FYLDE restaurant was left hanging on the end of a dead phone line after a mix up by telephone engineers.

Karl Myhill, manager of the new Toast Cafe Bar and Grill in Wood Street, St Annes, says the blunder could have cost them a fortune over the Christmas period if the problem was not resolved.

They were expecting an engineer to call in to connect their landline so they could take card payments at the new bar, but no-one turned up at the appointed time.

Mr Myhill said the installation could not be completed prior to the restaurant’s grand opening on December 8 despite them giving a month’s notice and they had been told they would have to wait until December 17.

But the line was connected yesterday after The Gazette contacted Openreach.

Mr Myhill said: “I don’t know what was said to them but something seems to have worked and they connected us to a telephone.

“We awaited the Openreach engineer’s visit all day and at the end we received a missed visit text from Openreach stating they called and left a card but no one was in, so we would have to pay £100 missed appointment fine.

“But as we’re a bar and restaurant we were open all day and no-one called.

“After contacting the telecom provider XLN Business Services they advised us the engineer didn’t actually visit the property but allegedly may have telephoned the venue to check access was available.

“We can only assume the engineer telephoned the new number for the restaurant which he was due to connect as he advised on his report ‘no answer’.

“This is a ridiculous blunder which could have caused our newly opened outlet to miss out on festive custom if we were unable to accept card payments during this period.

“We need the card machine and spent hours on the phone trying to get it resolved.”

A spokesman for the engineers said they wanted to get the situation rectified as quickly as possible.

She added: “Openreach is carrying out a thorough investigation into why the installation at Toast restaurant did not go ahead on time.

“In the meantime, our over-arching priority was to ensure the service was up and running as quickly as possible, which is what we tried to do.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.