Blackpool’s Illuminations has been granted a timely £2.4m funding windfall.
The Coastal Communities Fund has announced £2m funding following a bid from Blackpool Council, which is also contributing £300,000 to the flagship attraction.
The LightPool project - supported by an additional £120,000 from LeftCoast - will see new light shows, events and features across the town centre.
Town hall bosses claim it could see visitor numbers increase by two million people over the next five years.
New signage will also be included at key sites, welcoming people into town and leading them to the different installations.
Illuminations “Ambassadors” will also be employed to help visitors when they arrive and moving throughout the town.
New attractions include:
- Digitally mapped projections onto the Blackpool Tower building, accompanied by bespoke audio tracks to in-ear FM receivers.
- The Tower projection and audio show will continue from the Promenade to Brilliance on Birley Street with overhead digital festooning leading people into the town centre, creating a new light and sound event space.
- The introduction of LightPool goodie bags including in-ear FM receivers, maps, light-based toys and opportunities for local retailers to offer discount vouchers.
- A new artistic light installation at the Grundy Art Gallery throughout the Illuminations will create a day-time experience and open the Lights up to a new audience.
- New gateways at arrival points with illuminated kiosks and navigational signage.
SEE THE GAZETTE ON TUESDAY FOR THE FULL STORY