Rotting vegetables, cobwebs and dirty, greasy cooking equipment – these are just some of the shocking food hygiene failures found in one Blackpool takeaway.
Owner Mohammed Saeed Anwar, 47, who owns Ali’s Takeaway on Central Drive, was fined £875 and ordered to pay costs of £330 after the failed inspection by environmental health officers in February.
The inspection found mould built up on a sink draining board, dirty rags and towels around the kitchen, and dirty, greasy surfaces, cutlery and cooking equipment.
Anwar, of Gorse Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to 13 food hygiene offences at Blackpool Magistrates Court.
Coun Gillian Campbell, Blackpool Council’s cabinet member for public safety and enforcement, said she was shocked at the disregard the owner had held for customers who he was endangering with the failures.
She added: “The pictures used in the evidence in court speak for themselves.
“This was a shocking catalogue of failures and, frankly, it’s disgusting the owner put the public in danger in this way.
“There is no excuse for doing so and I’m pleased that courts have taken action.”
The owner had failed to properly keep vital food hygiene planning documents relating to chilled storage and cooking temperatures.
And, when questioned, officers said it became apparent that staff had not been trained in food hygiene and no suitable disinfection equipment was available.
To check a restaurant’s food hygiene rating, visit: www.ratings.food.gov.uk