Closed pub...could re-open soon

The last licensees were Keith Slater and his partner Barbara Savage.
The last licensees were Keith Slater and his partner Barbara Savage.
Have your say

A BLACKPOOL pub which closed suddenly last week could re-open before the end of the month.

Customers were shocked to discover the Number 4 on Newton Drive had shut its doors last Thursday.

But bosses at Thwaites which owns the hostelry, today said they were working towards getting it back open again as soon as possible.

Thwaites’ director of pub operations Andrew Buchanan said: “The Number 4 has temporarily closed while we recruit a new licensee but we have some great people waiting in the wings and the pub should be open for business again very soon.”

The company refused to comment on why the pub had closed.

The last licensees were Keith Slater and his partner Barbara Savage who ran The Pump and Truncheon on Bonny Street for seven years, and Uncle Tom’s Cabin for a short time prior to taking over at the Number 4 in 2008 shortly after it had been refurbished.

At the time they said they hoped to re-establish the venue in the community with a more down-to-earth menu, live entertainment and real ales.

A Lytham pub has also closed its doors this week.

The Hansom Cab in Station Road is set to become a J D Wetherspoon property, but a spokesman could not reveal any time frames for work to start on its conversion.

He said the company had exchanged on the purchase, but the deal was not yet completed.

He added: “We believe that despite the economic situation, people still wish to go out and enjoy themselves and the pub is the perfect place to do so. People expect value for money and good service and this is at the heart of Wetherspoon.

“Our pubs appeal to a cross section of people and we believe the key is offering a friendly well-run pub, with good food and drink.”

Wetherspoon already operates pubs in St Annes, Blackpool, Cleveleys and Fleetwood and its most recent Fylde coast property, the £2.3m Layton Rakes opening in Market Street, Blackpool, last November.