Bus catches fire at roadside in St Annes

The bus was travelling north along Clifton Drive South at the time of the fire
The bus was travelling north along Clifton Drive South at the time of the fire

A double-decker bus burst into flames at the side of a road in St Annes, say fire services.

The bus, which was out of service at the time, was travelling north along Clifton Drive South at around 7.50pm on August 30 when the driver realised there was a problem.

More top stories: Trapped monkey sparks emergency call out

Two crews from St Annes arrived at the scene to find the bus "well alight".

A spokesman for the fire service said: "It looks like the fire started in the engine compartment.

"Thankfully there were no passengers on board at the time and the driver got off straight away.

"We used a hose reel to extinguish the fire.

"There was no obvious cause but we will investigate to see what happened."

The road was closed for around 30 minutes while fire crews put out the fire.

Nobody was injured in the incident but the bus was severely damaged in the blaze, say fire services.