Broken back fears as car smashes into side of house

The scene of the crash on Park Lane, Preesall
The scene of the crash on Park Lane, Preesall
Share this article
Have your say

A driver who fled the scene of a car crash and left his two injured passengers behind sparked a major police hunt in over Wyre.

A helicopter was scrambled to help officers on the ground as they searched for the motorist, who ran off leaving the silver Mercedes CLK 320 lodged into the side of a house in Preesall and debris strewn across the road.

Insp Steve Bell

Insp Steve Bell

Police, firefighters and paramedics were called to the incident on Park Lane in the early hours of Saturday.

One of the passengers, who was initially reported to have suffered minor injuries, remains in hospital with a suspected broken back.

Insp Steve Bell, from Lancashire Police, said: “The injuries are relatively serious.”

The road was closed overnight due to fears over the safety of the building.

The driver of the car made off and that’s when the helicopter was called out

The crash left a gaping hole in the corner of the garage of the property, which was assessed by a building inspector before the road could be reopened.

The two passengers were treated at the scene for their injuries while police searched for the driver.

Police have identified the driver and made contact but officers are due to speak to him again about the incident in due course.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “We were called at 12.30am on Saturday after a car had gone into the wall of a house.

“There was lots of debris on the road and the fire brigade was called to assess the structural damage.

“The driver of the car made off and that’s when the helicopter was called out.

“The front passenger suffered seatbelt-type injuries while the rear passenger had back injuries.”

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said it was initially called to reports the driver was trapped in the vehicle before helping to secure the scene.

A spokesman said: “Firefighters ensured there were no residual hazards from the crash, such as prospect of fire, leakage of fuel or oil or debris in the road.”

Police said the road remained closed for several hours due to concerns over the safety of the building damaged in the collision.

A cordon remains in place around the area.

A spokesman for National Police Air Service Warton confirmed the helicopter had been called out at 12.55am.

Insp Bell added: “Nobody has been arrested or charged at this stage but we have had contact from the driver of the vehicle.

“It is being progressed by a roads policing officer who will speak to them in due course.

“It is an ongoing inquiry to ascertain the facts of how the collision occurred.”