Brave teenager saves family from fire

87 Ribble Road
87 Ribble Road
Share this article
0
Have your say

A family was saved when the teenage daughter used the fire training she had learned at school to evacuate the house.

Two adults and six children fled the blaze which engulfed the first floor bedroom of their house.

Four firefighters wearing breathing equipment went into the property to search for anyone who might have been trapped before extinguishing the fire. We then used fans to clear the smoke from the house

Steve Boyne

Firefighters from South Shore, Blackpool and Bispham attended the incident at Ribble Road, South Shore, at around 10am on Saturday, after reports of a man trapped in a fire at the front of the house.

Steve Boyne, watch manager at South Shore Fire and Rescue Service, attended the blaze along with 14 other firefighters.

He said: “Six children and two adults had already evacuated the building when we arrived.

“The man had smoke stains on his face and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. He had tried to put out the fire on his own but was unsuccessful.

“He was taken by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

“Four firefighters wearing breathing equipment went into the property to search for anyone who might have been trapped before extinguishing the fire. We then used fans to clear the smoke from the house.

“We believe the fire was caused by somebody experimenting with an electronic gas lighter which then got out of control.

“There was massive fire and smoke damage to the first floor bedroom at the front of the house and the house is now completely uninhabitable.

“The family had only recently moved into the house and there was no working fire alarm in the building.

The eldest daughter, 13, alerted the family to the blaze and evacuated them using fire training skills she had learned at school.

“She was aware there was a fire so she whistled and shouted to her family and made sure that they all got out of the house together, which is something firefighters teach children in schools.”

“She did a sterling job and potentially saved some lives. We really want to use her as an example to other children about what they should do if they find a fire.”