Brave Fylde coast fire-fighters pictured over the last seven decades

To mark the 70th anniversary of Lancashire Fire Service, we take a look back at the Fylde coast's firefighting heroes over the decades.

Thursday, 15th March 2018, 3:30 pm
Updated Thursday, 15th March 2018, 4:30 pm
May 1944, new fire engine in Blackpool

It was on April 1, 1948, Lancashire County Fire Brigade came into being, after it took over from the National Fire Service – brought into being because of the Second World War.

Before the war, there were a number of smaller brigades in the county area, but with the revision to local authority control after the war, Lancashire County Council was constituted the fire authority and the county brigade came into being.

From the brave heroes who have battled numerous blazes across the Fylde coast, to the impressive fire engines they use – which have changed a bit over the years – take a look at these fantastic archive pictures showing the Fylde coast’s firefighters of yesteryear.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Fire Brigade rushed to the BLESMA home, for a 'practice' fire rescue, in September 1971
Firemen and farmers freeing a bogged fire engine on Rawcliffe Moss, Out Rawcliffe, where they were fighting a peat fire for three day, in May 1946. The engine was towed clear by a breakdown wagon.
An ancient warrior on view, at South Shore Fire Station - the fire engine which for years saw service at Wesham Fire brigade , in August 1942
Poulton fire engine
Lytham's new £20,000 fire station comes into operation, in 1966
Blackpool old fire engine, 1951
Ten Fylde Coast fire officers who recently qualified for promotion, were presented with exam certificates by divisional commander Gordon Russell, at Blackpool Central Fire Station, in 1983. From left: Geoff Salthouse, Andrew Mellor, Mick Goldstone, Dave Swallow, Michael Titterington, Gordon Russel, Joe Boe, Don Cross, Martin Donnelly, Paul Robinson and John Whitley
Mr W E Norwood, her Majesty's Inspector of Fire Services, makes his annual inspection of the Blackpool Fire Service, accompanied by the Mayor (Ald A Ashworth), the chief fire officer, Mr E Harmer, GM and the deputy chief fire officer Mr J Alden, in 1964
New fire engine in Blackpool in 1944
1906 fire at the thatched cottages, in Elswick, attended by Singleton Fire Brigade
Fire engine, Blackpool, June 1936
Blackpool Fire Brigade rushed to the BLESMA home, for a 'practice' fire rescue, in September 1971
Firemen and farmers freeing a bogged fire engine on Rawcliffe Moss, Out Rawcliffe, where they were fighting a peat fire for three day, in May 1946. The engine was towed clear by a breakdown wagon.
An ancient warrior on view, at South Shore Fire Station - the fire engine which for years saw service at Wesham Fire brigade , in August 1942
Poulton fire engine
Lytham's new £20,000 fire station comes into operation, in 1966
Blackpool old fire engine, 1951
Ten Fylde Coast fire officers who recently qualified for promotion, were presented with exam certificates by divisional commander Gordon Russell, at Blackpool Central Fire Station, in 1983. From left: Geoff Salthouse, Andrew Mellor, Mick Goldstone, Dave Swallow, Michael Titterington, Gordon Russel, Joe Boe, Don Cross, Martin Donnelly, Paul Robinson and John Whitley
Mr W E Norwood, her Majesty's Inspector of Fire Services, makes his annual inspection of the Blackpool Fire Service, accompanied by the Mayor (Ald A Ashworth), the chief fire officer, Mr E Harmer, GM and the deputy chief fire officer Mr J Alden, in 1964
New fire engine in Blackpool in 1944
1906 fire at the thatched cottages, in Elswick, attended by Singleton Fire Brigade
Fire engine, Blackpool, June 1936