Blaze spread to nearby house

Have your say

A house was engulfed by flames in Marton in the early hours of this morning.

No one was inside at the time.

The property in Kildonan Avenue caught light after a spark from a chiminea set fire to a caravan, which in turn set light to the house.

Firefighters tackled the blaze for about two hours to bring it under control after they were called to the scene at 5.30am.

Watch manager at Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service Kevin Warwick said: “The team was called to reports of a fence and tree which had caught light but when they got there they found a caravan well alight.

“The caravan has set fire to next door’s property.

“A spark from a homemade chiminea had started it.

“Someone had been sitting by the chiminea until about 2.30am or 3am and had believed it had settled down. But with a spark and the direction of the wind caravan had set light.

“Thankfully there was no one inside.”

Steve Boyne had been watch manager in charge of the crew from South Shore which was called to the fire. A fire engine from Blackpool was also called for backup.

Firefighters used three jets in all to put the fire out.

Although there will now be an investigation into the cause of the fire to rule out arson Mr Warwick said the fire brigade believed the blaze to be accidental.