Blackpool leisure centre remains closed following fire

Palatine Leisure Centre and School
Palatine Leisure Centre and School
Share this article
Have your say

A South Shore leisure centre is to remain closed until further notice after an electrical fire.

Palatine Leisure Centre was closed at the weekend after its heating system had to be turned off due to the damage.

It meant that the pool, showers and other essential equipment at the St Anne’s Road centre could not be heated.

A spokesman for Blackpool Council Coun Graham Cain, cabinet secretary for Blackpool Council, said the replacement equipment was difficult to source but they were working to find a temporary solution to get the centre back open.

He added: “A minor fire at Palatine Leisure Centre over the weekend has meant that the control panel for our heating system needs to be replaced.

“That lack of heating affects the pool, the showers and general building heating, meaning that the sports centre has had to temporarily close for the foreseeable future.

“Members are still able to use the swimming, gym and fitness facilities at Blackpool Sports Centre, Moor Park Leisure Centre and Gateway Fitness Centre while the repairs are taking place.

“We have worked hard to relocate classes and lessons and emailed members to let them know of the temporary arrangements.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the fire but are working hard to replace the control panel and will try and re-open the centre as soon as possible.

“Anybody who wants to ask questions or stay up to date can do so by following Sport Blackpool on Facebook and Twitter as well as on the Council website.”

The fire broke out at around 8pm on Friday.

Two engines from South Shore and Blackpool Fire and Rescue Services were called to the fire on the first floor.

A Fire Service spokesman said: “The area was evacuated and fire crews put out the blaze using carbon dioxide fire extinguishers.

“Nobody was injured but the distribution board was destroyed and there was some smoke damage to the first floor.”