Preparation work has begun to clear the ground for the demolition of Blackpool Airport’s international terminal.
Workmen have been removing portable cabins from the rear area of the former terminal which once saw hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers fly abroad to the sun.
The terminal has stood empty since October 2014 when the airport temporarily closed due to £35m debts.
Although small scale commercial flights have returned with Citywing flying to the Isle of Man and Ireland, the terminal has been unused and its equipment removed.
The land is now earmarked for Blackpool and The Fylde College’s energy college as part of a enterprise zone.
Fylde Borough Council gave permission earlier this month for the buildings to be removed but is yet to make a decision on the plans for the energy college.
The move has been opposed by campaign group Save Blackpool Airport which wants to see the return of international flights.
Rob Blower, from the group, said final demolition could not take place until after the final date for objection letter on February 1.
He said: “We have written to object to the plans. We want to see the details of their promised replacement terminal before it all goes ahead.
“It has to be a substantial building to cope with the potential hundreds of thousands of passengers a year not just a small scale operation. If it is built they can then go out looking for airline customers.”
Balfour Beatty was unavailable for comment.