Barnstaple 0 Blackpool 5

NEW signing Billy Clarke netted his first goal for the Seasiders, while strikers Danny Nardiello and Brett Ormerod scored for the second match running as the Seasiders made it nine goals in two pre-season games.

Following Saturday's 4-0 success at Burscough, Blackpool cruised to another comfortable win on the opening night of the South West Challenge Cup in North Devon.

Three goals in the opening 17 minutes put Pool in the driving seat against their Western League hosts.

In a match of two 40-minute halves, Ian Holloway again made wholesale changes at the interval as only David Vaughan played the full 80 minutes.

With Paul Rachubka given the night off, young Mark Halstead and Matt Gilks shared the goalkeeping duties and were largely untroubled.

The elements abated after heavy pre-match rain at the Mill Road ground and Ben Burgess gave the Seasiders a perfect start, scoring inside five minutes from Alex Baptiste's cross.

Holloway again required his men to show their adaptability with regular positional switches which certainly confused Barnstaple, who were repeatedly exposed out wide.

It was a burst down the right by the impressive Clarke which resulted in a pinpoint centre and a firm header from Ormerod which doubled the lead on 11 minutes.

Then Clarke burst clear down the middle to fire his first goal since moving from Ipswich into the bottom corner.

Burgess was denied moments later when his shot was tipped against the post by home man of the match Jamie Pow, and Taylor-Fletcher went close to a third goal in two games.

The home side's best chance came on the stroke of half-time, when Halstead came out but misjudged a long free-kick, inviting Shane Tolley to lob him. However, the new signing missed the target.

The rules of the competition limit substitutions to ten per side, but Holloway settled for nine, with Burgess and Vaughan the only players to feature in both halves.

Danny Nardiello, who appears to be enjoying a new lease of life under Holloway, posed an immediate threat when his curling shot was blocked and he played his part in Pool's fourth eight minutes after the restart.

His cross was headed back by across goal by Burgess and the ball was rammed home by American trialist Eric DeFreitas, a Texan attacking midfielder from Tulsa University.

Burgess made way for Lewis Almond as Blackpool continued to create chances. The crossbar denied Nardiello and Almond wasted a fine opportunity, firing wide from Danny Mitchley's inviting through ball, before being thwarted by replacement keeper Jimmy Thorne.

It hadn't looked like being his night, but a 74th-minute goal was no more than Nardiello deserved, after a neat exchange of passes with Mitchley.

Stephen Crainey 25-yard free-kick was worthy of a sixth goal but was well saved.

In last night's other matches in the competition Wycombe needed penalties to defeat Bideford after a goalless game, while Exeter beat Ilfracombe 4-1 and Yeovil overwhelmed the Belgian students of RRFC Montegnee 5-0.

The tournament resumes tomorrow, when Pool can book their place in Saturday's semi-finals with victory over Rushden and Diamonds at Ilfracombe.

Blackpool first half: Halstead, Baptiste, Edwards, Evatt, Martin, Taylor-Fletcher, Vaughan, Southern, Clarke, Ormerod, Burgess.

Second half: Gilks, Coid, Barker, Eastham, Crainey, Langley, DeFreitas, Vaughan, Mitchley, Nardiello, Burgess (Almond).