Back to school in Kirkham '“ to celebrate 60 years
We are heading back to the classroom in Kirkham to mark six decades of Carr Hill High School.
The school will celebrate its 60th anniversary with a ceremonial cake-cutting on Tuesday.
It is believed the land around the Carr Hill School site was originally the home of a Roman fort dating from 70 AD.
In 1934, the land adjacent to Carr Hill became the Carr Hill Racecourse, built by Edward Sergeant. This was built in the grounds of the Carr Hill Hotel.
The course closed in 1938 when Lancashire County Council acquired land between the road and the racecourse.
The school was then constructed at a cost of £118,000 and opened to the first pupils for the autumn term in 1957.
The official opening – at that time the school was named Carr Hill Secondary Modern School – was carried out by the Duchess of Kent, in July 1958.
The school gates were covered in flags and the Duchess stayed for 50 minutes, unveiling a plaque and inspecting some of the classrooms at the school.
The Duchess, wearing an elegant deep blue two-piece suit, was met by Lord and Lady Derby and greeted by 380 parents, officials, governors and council representatives in the large, sunny assembly hall.
While touring the science laboratories and talking to students carrying out experiments, she commented: “it’s wonderful.”
She also visited the gymnasium, the arts and crafts room and domestic science room.
When it was first built, the school could accommodate 450 pupils with 19 classrooms – one science lab, a metalwork and woodwork room.
The first headmaster was a Mr R Simpson.