Baby was found wedged between bed and wall

Little Freddie Neil
Little Freddie Neil
Have your say

A four-week-old baby died after becoming wedged between a bed and a wall at his home.

Little Freddie Neil was found pale and cold by his father on Boxing Day morning last year.

He was extremely tired and intoxicated at that point

Emergency services were called and he was taken by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but was later pronounced dead.

Coroner Alan Wilson recorded an open-ended verdict at the inquest into Freddie’s tragic death at Blackpool Town Hall yesterday.

Pathologist Dr Jo McPartland said she believed Freddie’s death was caused largely by unsafe sleeping arrangements – but that an official cause was unascertained because of other health concerns, including bronchitis found in his lungs.

Freddie was taken upstairs to bed by father Matthew Neil in the early hours of December 26 last year after the couple had spent the night drinking with friends at their Rydal Avenue home.

Though Freddie usually slept in a crib, he was found several hours later down the side of a bed partially wrapped in a blanket.

Mr Neil attempted to perform CPR on his son, but was unable to save him.

The inquest heard how police found Mr Neil was more than twice over the drink drive limit at the time as reference to his level of intoxication.

Mr Wilson said it was believed that Mr Neil had put the baby in the bed.

“He was extremely tired and intoxicated at that point,” he said. Freddie may have rolled off the bed.”

He added that Mr Neil had taken “full responsibility” for his actions and that it was not believed either parent would intentionally harm their children.

Mr Neil and partner Kim were initially arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and neglect but were released without charge in June.

Mr Neil said: “It has been the longest year of my life. I’m just happy that they know we are not bad people and we would never hurt our children on purpose.

“We’ll be able to put Freddie to rest properly now.”