Baby died sharing bed with parents

Latest news
Latest news
Share this article
Have your say

A newborn baby may have been accidentally suffocated while sharing a single bed with both her parents, an inquest heard.

Alesha Roberts was 16 days old when she died at her father Ahmed’s home in Talbot Road, Blackpool

She was sharing a bed with her father and 22-year-old mum Letisha, who woke in the early hours of the morning at her boyfriend’s one-bedroom flat to find the baby unresponsive.

Miss Roberts, from Old Swan, Liverpool, was visiting her boyfriend in November 2012 with their daughter

Both parents were quizzed by police after Alesha’s death.

Ahmed, whose second name was not given at the inquest, was released without charge.

In April this year, Miss Roberts learned the criminal investigation originally brought against her had been dropped.

She was charged by police after experts thought she had accidentally suffocated her daughter. The case was discontinued after a judge was told that in light of a new doctor’s report, the prosecution no longer felt there was a realistic prospect of a conviction.

A post mortem examination showed no injuries were sustained to the baby and a medical cause of death was given as unascertained.

Assistant coroner for Blackpool Mr Derek Baker returned a narrative conclusion saying the reasons for Alesha’s death were uncertain, although the baby’s sleeping conditions could have been a factor.