Anthrax victim named

A microscopic view of the anthrax bacteria
A microscopic view of the anthrax bacteria
Share this article
Have your say

A HEROIN user who died after injecting drugs contaminated with anthrax has been named.

Dorothy Muir, 54, of Sherbourne Road, Blackpool, died in hospital last week after falling critically ill.

And yesterday an inquest into her death heard she died within hours of arriving at Blackpool Victoria Hospital on September 4.

Blackpool coroner Anne Hind said: “She was separated from her partner but remained friends, and on September 3 at around 12.30pm she came to his house to visit and she told him she felt sick and had a bad headache.

“She told him she had ‘scored’ and he injected himself with one (syringe) and she injected herself with the other.

“She came back to his house a couple of hours later feeling absolutely dreadful, her headache was now extremely painful and he summoned an ambulance and she was taken to hospital.

“Sadly within a short period of time she passed away.”

The court heard Ms Muir was known as a drug user, but Mrs Hind said her death had come “as a great shock to people who knew her” as she had “managed to conceal” her drug habit.

She is the second Fylde resident to die after taking heroin contaminated with anthrax after 48-year-old Declan Wallace, from Kirkham, passed away in August.

Mrs Hind recorded a verdict of dependent drug abuse following the inquest.

The coroner’s office is now appealing to trace Ms Muir’s relatives, who can contact them on (01253) 604207.