Alert as dogs get an electric shock

Michelle Hughes with dogs Sapphire and Sheba by the lamppost she says her dogs got an electric shock from
Michelle Hughes with dogs Sapphire and Sheba by the lamppost she says her dogs got an electric shock from
0
Have your say

A DOG owner has reacted with fury after her prized pets received a nasty shock while playing on a town centre car park.

Michelle Hughes, from central Blackpool, was walking her rottweilers on the car park behind the Odeon cinema, on Rigby Road, when they received a jolt from a faulty lamp-post.

She said: “I take them on there every day so they can have a run and a bit of exercise. It’s a good place to go with them and quite a lot of dogs go on there.

Shaking

“I threw them a toy and it landed just under a light. They jumped on to get it and they started yelping and shaking like they were fitting.”

The dogs, Sapphire and Sheba, aged two years and 11 months, have been left with fluid on the lungs as a result of the electric shock and could yet develop further complications.

The 34-year-old owner said the incident had left both her and her animals “shaken”. She was concerned a child could be affected next time.

She said: “It’s affected my dogs badly and it’s affected me, I’ve not slept because they are ill. I took them to the vets and they’ve both got fluid on the lungs as a result of the electric shock.

“I’ve heard it’s happened before to someone else’s dog and I’m concerned because children play there.”

Ms Hughes said the incident happened on the land behind the cinema complex, between the Odeon building and Bannatyne’s gym.

The area is called Festival Park and is managed by Jones Lang LaSalle, who said a fault was discovered on the electrical mechanism of the lamp-post.

A spokesman for the firm added: “The fault was rectified and all the lamp-posts on site were checked by a contractor and found to be in good working order. The nature of the fault could have led to a very low voltage of electricity being discharged through the lighting column but at no point was there any danger to any member of the public.

“The lighting at the site is serviced on a quarterly basis in accordance with British standards.

“We’re committed to the safety of all persons visiting and working in properties we manage and health and safety is of the highest priority.”