They’re a well-known sight on Fylde coast streets and have been for close to 200 years.
We recently focused in on the fire service throughout the years in Fylde, and this time, it’s the turn of the police.
Lancashire Constabulary was founded in 1839.
In 1917, it first allowed female officers, although it was only in the 70s they were allowed uniforms.
Our archive photograph shows the new Lancashire County Police women’s uniform, in June 1964.
Both men and women’s uniforms from 1983 can be seen another archive picture – the uniforms look somewhat different today!
The Fylde coast falls under Western Division.
In the 1830s, the main crimes people were tried for were theft and gain.
Our archive pictures show some of the modes of transport used by the police over the years on the Fylde coast.
Skis were certainly not standard issue, but the most efficient way of winter sports enthusiast PC John Marshall Goldie getting to work at South Shore Police Station, in February 1955.
Blackpool Police took delivery of eight scooter for patrol work in September 1959.
And horses have always played a big role in policing the Fylde, as can be seen on our pictures – showing them patrolling the sand hills of St Annes and Blackpool town centre.
The latest in technology – at that time, of course – can be seen in our photograph taken at Hutton’s police HQ in 1980, with the use of monitors and the ‘new’ breath-testing machine to test for alcohol at Blackpool’s Police Station, shown in April 1983.
And also pictured are some of Blackpool’s special constables, in May 1982.
They included a taxi driver, a post office worker and council architect.