Plug pulled on Boyle Opera House show

Susan Boyle
Susan Boyle
0
Have your say

Singing superstar Susan Boyle’s Blackpool show has been cancelled – but she will be back in the spring.

That’s the promise from the organisers, who say they had no choice but to scrap next month’s eagerly-awaited gig at the Opera House “due to reasons that are beyond our control”.

Boyle, 52, went from quiet, church-going Scot to international superstar after appearing on Britain’s Got Talent in 2009. Within days of her first appearance on the show, her rendition of Cry Me A River had been viewed 100 million times on YouTube.

She had been booked to headline Susan Boyle and Friends at the Opera House on Sunday September 8 in what was meant to be her only UK show of the year.

There were several other acts on the bill, including Roy Walker, Andy Prior and his Orchestra, and vocalist Rose-Marie.

Toni Jo, of HRH Entertainments, the show’s co-producer, said he was disappointed he’d had to cancel but promised to bring Boyle back “at the earliest opportunity”.

He said: “Unfortunately due to a few different factors we have had to postpone the show.

“It is a shame because a lot of work had gone into the show but no one is to blame.

“I have talked with Susan’s management and her brother Gerry and we are working towards bringing Susan back to Blackpool at the earliest opportunity, hopefully March or April time.

“I hate disappointing the public and I hate disappointing the other artists, because we had several other star acts lined up to play on the night.

“Once again I’d like to apologise to anybody who bought tickets for the show for the inconvenience, but we will endeavour to bring Susan back as soon as we can.”

A spokesman for the Opera House confirmed there will be a full refund on all tickets from the point of sale.