The organiser of a new music festival which was cancelled at the eleventh hour over an insurance blunder has vowed to return “bigger and better” next year.
The inaugural Thornton Music Festival was due to be held in fields off Norcross Lane, Norcross, on Saturday but poor ticket sales and invalid on-site insurance meant it could not go ahead.
Music promoter Simon Winterbottom said: “We had technical issues and were left with no other option but to cancel the event.”
The festival had been planned for the same field where a controversial live DJ event resulted in complaints from disrupted young families living nearby in May.
Organisers of the Moo Project decided to scrap their plans for a second festival in July and instead focused their efforts on the new Thornton Music Festival.
After securing a temporary events notice from Wyre Council, Thornton Music Festival 2013 was due to go ahead between 4pm and 11pm on Saturday.
But organisers were again forced to pull the plug.
Mr Winterbottom added: “Unfortunately, the on-site insurance wasn’t valid and didn’t meet the council’s requirements.
“I wasn’t aware, but a special type of liability insurance is needed for events, which we didn’t have.
“When I went back to the insurance company they increased the premium out of our budget.
“Ticket sales have been poor too.
“But I hope we’ll be back bigger and better next year.”
The event was due to feature local bands Ska Face, The Rattlers, Fat Tuesdays and Electric Echo.
Mr Winterbottom used to own the Raikes Hall pub in Blackpool where he regularly hosted a band night every Friday and Saturday.
Coun May Gandhi, Wyre councillor for Carleton, worked with residents who opposed the Moo Project’s second event.
She said: “As it has turned out, I suppose the residents will be relieved.
“I am sure they must be and I’ll continue to support them on this.
“If a similar festival is planned next year, I will support them again.”