One of Blackpool’s longest running summer season show is moving to a new venue for 2013.
After 14 years successive years in the resort the three times award winning Legends is moving to the Sands Venue on Central Promenade for next season.
Legends was created by producer/director Trevor Chance 23 years ago and made its Blackpool debut at North Pier Theatre in 1999.
That was followed by two seasons at the end of Central Pier before it moved into the re-named Central Pier Showbar (formerly Oz nightclub) on the Promenade in 2002 where it remained until this year.
“The merging of Peter Swann’s fabulous venue and the award winning Legends show signals a new beginning for Blackpool’s entertainment scene,” said Trevor. “After 14 successful years in the resort we are joining forces in order to give our fans a very special kind of experience.
“Not only will the audiences get the usual Legends surprises when they purchase tickets for show only, but they will be able to dine before, during or after the show should they want to as well.”
Sands owner Peter Swann said: “We are very proud to welcome Trevor Chance’s Legends.
“The show has been one of the most outstanding multi-tribute productions ever and because of that we believe it brings a touch of class to the already growing stature of the Sands list of offerings.
“It feels like the logical step for us to join forces and be the first ones to offer such a package to residents and holiday makers alike.
“Nowhere in Blackpool will be offering a six nights a week, full theatre production with such a complete service, from the coffee shop while you wait to purchase show tickets, to the top floor sea view restaurant.”
Trevor added: “The Sands offers Legends a move to a new and exciting venue, one that seems perfect for its high level production and one that will ensure the Legends name remains at the forefront of Blackpool entertainment.
“People are looking for even more for their money these days and from being the best value show in town, this move offers the very best venue to go with that.
“I am confident that all of our fans will want to experience this new venture with us. We are all very excited indeed by the move.
“Sands is located closer to the Tower in a vibrant spot overlooking the Comedy Carpet. It’s an easy to find location and a perfect room for Legends.”
The move is launched with Easter shows from March 28 to 30 featuring tributes to Elton John, Robbie Williams, Elvis Peresley and Freddie Mercury along with comedian Tom Bright and the Legends band and dancers.
The summer season opens on June 13 and runs through to November with two different line-ups alternating every Thursday, featuring tributes to Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Elton John, Neil Diamond, Robbie Williams, Buddy Holly, Blues Brothers and introducing Adele.
Operations director for Central Pier operators Six Piers, Michael Williams said: “After 14 years of working together and providing the Central Pier Showbar as a home for Legends while it developed it’s brand in Blackpool, we would like to take this opportunity to thank the producers, artistes cast and crew for their hard work and support over the years and wish them well for the future.
“We are now working with other show producers and promoters for 2013 and are confident that we will be able to deliver a number of shows that will appeal to the loyal audience of the Central Pier Show Bar.”
Legends fans were shocked last month when days before the summer version of the show ended its 2012 run on Central Pier, the Christmas edition was cancelled.
Michael Williams said the decision had been made because “advance sales were behind where we were at this time last year despite carrying out additional marketing.”
He cited the current economic climate and competition from other venues as reasons for pulling the show which was to have been staged on 12 nights between December 7 and 29.
The Sands Venue will be taking bookings for all Easter and summer dates from January onwards. Call (01253) 625262 or email email@example.com